Premed 101 Forums

RE: oop applicants

Guest benjibert

Guest benjibert

Hey all,

I am writing from BC and wondering about the quota McGill sets for out of province applicants. Anyone currently at McGill med from outside of Quebec?

Love to hear back

Ben

Guest medicator007

Hey Ben,

At least one of the other moderators is OOP and so if you have any more detailed questions on the matter they will have to take a shot at the answer because I'm a lifelong Montrealer.

To clarifiy, the quota is in fact set by the government who then distributes the number of OOP seats amongst the 4 schools in quebec (the other 3 are french language; U de Montreal, U de Laval and U de Sherbrooke...who mostly draw OOP from the 'larger' French populations of NB, PEI, NS and Ontario I understand).

I'm not entirely sure what the exact details were for our class, but i know that in past years there are generally anywhere from 5-8 spots for OOP students with the number varying depending on how many OOP students the other 3 schools accept. There are very few spots, and thus my understanding is that while the cutoffs for OOP and In-Province are the same.... as with just about every school, it is VERY competitive to get in as an OOP.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Guest med2006McGill

Hi Ben,

I'm an OOP student studying at McGill. Medicator is right. McGill usually takes around 5-8 OOP students per year. I don't know if you applied this year but if you did and happen to be on the waiting list, don't give up hope! Most of the OOP students that get accepted at McGill also get accepted else where (since it's pretty competitive to get in as an OOP student). Chances are more spots will become available in June or July as OOP students who have already been accepted at McGill get more acceptance letters from other universities (ie Ontario ones).

PS. I think there are 6 OOP students in our class.

Good luck!

Archived