Premed 101 Forums

Physics 2 and when to apply

Guest duffman1234

Guest duffman1234

Hey guys,

So i just finished my first year and i took physics 1 but not physics 2. It made sense for me in the beginning but now im worried about my decision. I know MCAT requires physics, but do any schools require physics 2 as an actual prerequisite (for example, out of province)? Also, is it worth applying out of province? im from ontario

Also, there are some schools like uoft and mac that require 3 years of undergrad, so does that mean i can apply during the summer of second year, or do i technically have to finish my 3rd year then apply?

Im planning to take my mcat during my 2nd year summer, and i dont know when to take physics 2.

What do u guys think, should i take physics 2? Cuz my 2nd year seems pretty hectic already.

thanks!

Guest duffman1234

also,

is it possible that a kaplan course can help with physics, even though i didnt take physics 2?

thanks!

i don't believe any schools in ontario require both physics (but i may be wrong) - not sure about the rest of canada... i think some american schools may require a full year of physics

not sure what you mean when you ask "is it worth applying out of province"... do you mean do you have a chance? if so, then yea, a lot of people get accepted out of province from ontario

with regards to the schools like UofT, Mac, Queens, etc. that require only 3 years of undergrad, you apply in the summer after 2nd year

take physics 2 second year if you want an easier time learning it in the summer, but it is by no means necessary (as long as you are a relatively good learner)...yea a kaplan course would help with physics 2, even without the course... that also applies to self-learning, like i said, it can definitely be learned without have taken a course on it... in fact i would say my physics 2 did very little to prepare me for the mcat - you have to learn a bit yourself anyways (electrical circuits, optics, etc.), in my experience... it's not hard at all

Guest duffman1234
i don't believe any schools in ontario require both physics (but i may be wrong) - not sure about the rest of canada... i think some american schools may require a full year of physics

not sure what you mean when you ask "is it worth applying out of province"... do you mean do you have a chance? if so, then yea, a lot of people get accepted out of province from ontario

with regards to the schools like UofT, Mac, Queens, etc. that require only 3 years of undergrad, you apply in the summer after 2nd year

take physics 2 second year if you want an easier time learning it in the summer, but it is by no means necessary (as long as you are a relatively good learner)...yea a kaplan course would help with physics 2, even without the course... that also applies to self-learning, like i said, it can definitely be learned without have taken a course on it... in fact i would say my physics 2 did very little to prepare me for the mcat - you have to learn a bit yourself anyways (electrical circuits, optics, etc.), in my experience... it's not hard at all

thanks for the reply matt!

i was thinking that not a lot of people get accepted out of province, and that there's some sort of cap or limit. I guess im wrong about that.

my plan is to start applying the schools u listed during my second year, and also take the kaplan course and MCAT during the late summer. The reason why i didnt take physics 2 is because i was directing my courses towards pharmacy only, but now i want to open the doors to medicine which is what im really interested in.

I would take physics during second year, but i dont know when to take it, since its not offered during first semester, and my second semester has hard courses (physiology, org 2, biochem, thermodynamic, physics??). and ofcourse during the summer i'd be taking the kaplan course + MCAT, so i dont know if i'd want to take physics 2 during that year

If kaplan course + me preparing this summer and next summer helps with physics 2, i guess that should be okay right?

any more advice would be greatly appreciated :)

i was thinking that not a lot of people get accepted out of province, and that there's some sort of cap or limit. I guess im wrong about that.

well there is a cap at out of province schools... but it is still a fair number, and there are a decent number of schools... and you have to remember, a ton of OOP applicants who get accepted end up turning it down, as they got accepted in their own province and would prefer to stay, or got accepted somewhere else that they like better

you should double check on where physics 2 is required and where it is not, because i'm not 100% sure... someone on here will probably give you a more definitive answer though... but yea, if it is not required, kaplan + self-studying is easily enough to prepare for the physics you are missing in physics 2, in my opinion

Guest duffman1234

well the medical schools in ontario don't require physics, as for other schools im not sure. I think alberta or calgary need physics, but even if they do i think i'd have to delay until after third year to apply since i might as well take physics 2 during 3rd year.

How did you prepare for the MCAT? any book suggestions? i just went to chapters and saw kaplan and TRP, and honestly they both look very similar to me but i heard TRP is better. I saw an examcracker BIO which looked really good, but i'd rather take a physics one i guess.

Archived