Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Med interview

Guest WeirdoK13

Guest WeirdoK13

Hello Everyone!

I am a Cegep student and have my interview for McGill this May 8th. Any advice? Any tips for how to get ready for it?

thanks.

weirdoK13:b

Guest dfenst

Know yourself well. Read through your essay several times so that you remember well the experiences you wrote about, how you played a part in them... Know why you want to be a doctor. It will be asked (even though it's the most annoying question) and it's important - I would think more so for premed - to know why medicine is right for you at this point in your life. I would think that you would have to prove to the interviewer that you are committed to medicine before having done an undergrad or tried another field first.

Be confident. Walk into that interview room as though you are sooooo deserving of being there. Never put anything you've done down. If it wasn't related to medicine, make them feel like you have grown somehow from it. For example, you should have no regrets about having gone to summer camp instead of doing hospital volunteer work in cegep.

Mock interviews. I never did an official mock interview, but I did have friends ask me questions and answered them as though I was at the interview. You'll see that by having a few of these trial runs, you will come up with more concise and clear responses instead of the answers that go on, and on, and on like this one. ;)

Practice in front of a mirror. You probably know most of the questions they'll ask, and then there may be some random types of questions they could ask. The former you can prepare for - ones like strengths, weaknesses, motivation for medicine, when did you decide about medicine. It might be good to brush up on some current medical issues. If you don't at least know what SARS is, you might want to check up on it. Most of the mian newspaper websites like http://www.nytimes.com have good health sections. There will be questions they may ask that you did not prepare for. Be prepared (pardon the pun) for that! It's normal. I was asked some ethical questions about a scenario in a hospital. I hadn't prepared for that question specifically, but I knew my stance on things and stuck to it. This comes back to the first 2 words of this whole answer - Know Yourself.

Have you been to interviewfeedback.com? I think the site has moved somewhere else, but the new link is on that page. You can get a better understanding of questions they might ask on that site.

Good luck next week!

Archived