Premed 101 Forums

Second degree - does it matter what major?what school?

I am considering a second degree and would prefer to go somewhere other than UofT. I am thinking of going to UWO for a B.Sc. ( I have a B.Sc. from UofT). I am wondering if it matters to medical schools (canadian and american) where you go for your other degree or what major you take.

What are some non-hardcore programs at UWO that could help with improving my transcript?

I am considering a second degree and would prefer to go somewhere other than UofT. I am thinking of going to UWO for a B.Sc. ( I have a B.Sc. from UofT). I am wondering if it matters to medical schools (canadian and american) where you go for your other degree or what major you take.

What are some non-hardcore programs at UWO that could help with improving my transcript?

1. If you are going to another Canadian school it will not matter where you go for Ontario med schools. They won't be biased toward candidates based on their degree or program, as long as you've completed the basic prereqs. I'm not familiar with the requirements outside of Ontario. I'd make sure to choose a program whose course content does not significantly overlap with that of your first degree, if at all.

2. You're doing a second undergrad degree. You'd better make it a degree in a field you'll want to work in. It would be a shame if you spent money on two more years of education to be in the same position you're in now by the end of it. I'm also going to be doing a second undergraduate degree, but it is a professional degree in a field that is my Plan B (nursing). I'm actually planning on using this degree if medicine doesn't work out for me. I'd suggest you do the same.

Archived