Premed 101 Forums

Health Studies, Biomed or...Philosophy?

I'll be attending Waterloo for Health Studies Co-op in September but now I'm having second thoughts. A few people have been telling me that I should switch to Biomedical Science after first year to avoid all those health courses, plus I get more electives.

On top of that, I enjoy philosophy. I'm considering switching into philosophy instead and taking the science and calculus courses I need as electives but I'm not sure.

So really, should I stay in Health Studies, switch to Biomed, or switch to Philosophy?

I know someone in Health Studies at Waterloo, and from what he tells me the first year courses don't give you the required prereqs, so you may have to make those up through overloading or in the summer somehow. umm... I'd suggest trying to take a philosophy course as an elective next year, to make sure you like it before going into an entire major in philosophy. I don't know anything about biomed there.

Health Studies - some basic sciences, but also some health courses, stats, social psych, psychology, program eval courses.

Biomed - basic sciences for the most part

If you're interested in Philos, I'd suggest doing that and taking the prereqs for the MCAT. BTW, unless you're also considering pharmacy, there is no calculus requirement for the MCAT and unless you're planning on studying stateside, there's no calculus prereq for med schools. Please tell that to every pre-med you know, that seems to be a common misconception :P

Also, what are the job prospects for someone with a degree in philosophy vs biomed or health studies? If you don't get into med but still want to work in health care, you'd be further ahead to do a degree related to health in some way.

What about a minor in philosophy?

Health Studies - some basic sciences, but also some health courses, stats, social psych, psychology, program eval courses.

Biomed - basic sciences for the most part

If you're interested in Philos, I'd suggest doing that and taking the prereqs for the MCAT. BTW, unless you're also considering pharmacy, there is no calculus requirement for the MCAT and unless you're planning on studying stateside, there's no calculus prereq for med schools. Please tell that to every pre-med you know, that seems to be a common misconception :P

In your opinion, do you think it would still be a good idea to take calculus just in case I don't attend med school in Canada? Or is there a somewhat good chance that I'll at least get into one med school in Canada? I only ask since Health Studies doesn't have a calculus requirement while biomed does.

Or is there a somewhat good chance that I'll at least get into one med school in Canada?

hehe, sorry, had to giggle at this one a bit. The thing that is going to control whether you get in or not is YOU, and in my opinion, a bit of luck. Looking at the stats of those applying vs getting in are overwhelming, so know the cut-offs and what you need to do- then do it! Take calculus just to be safe, if you've taken calc in high school it shouldn't be too bad. My intro calc course was quite easy

hehe, sorry, had to giggle at this one a bit. The thing that is going to control whether you get in or not is YOU, and in my opinion, a bit of luck. Looking at the stats of those applying vs getting in are overwhelming, so know the cut-offs and what you need to do- then do it! Take calculus just to be safe, if you've taken calc in high school it shouldn't be too bad. My intro calc course was quite easy

Haha thanks

Archived