Premed 101 Forums

McGill Countdown 2003

Guest UPENN2003

Guest UPENN2003

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from McGill about acceptance/waitlist/rejection.. MD/PhD decisions were supposedly made on Feb. 25th...

Anyone?

Guest Biochem10

No news yet, the waiting is killing me! I heard that decisions were being made on the 25th, but I guess it'll still take awhile to be contacted. UPENN2003, I'll definetly let you know when I hear the outcome.

Guest McGill03

Hey everyone

I'm an OOP student currently applying for the MD/PhD program.

I can't believe decisions were made so early (the 25th). Wow! I wish they'd tell us already! I'm dying!

Does anyone know how we'll find out? Snail-mail? Will it be posted on Minerva first?

Guest md2b2006

Hey hopefuls!

As a mcgill med-I looking back on this time one year ago, I can truly say that I empathize wholeheartedly with your anxiety and impatience. Here's what I have heard for this year:

1- An acquaintance who applied to MD-PhD (in province) said that he would be finding out about his accepatance within a matter of days (this was last week).

2- There were still a few OOP interviewees hanging around campus last week, so the decisions will probably be a bit longer (sorry)

3- I stopped by the admissions office to find out about in-province interviews, and was told (last Thurs/Fri) that the letters were being sent out in ten days.

Please don't take any of this as hard core fact, it is just what I have seen and heard in the halls and I figured I'd share.

In terms of what to expect:

1- I found out about both my interview and acceptance over the phone. I was surprised that they did it, but was relieved since my snail mail tends to be slower than the rest of the city.

2- for people waiting to hear about interviews- don't worry so much about thin envelopes... the "congrats and here's your interview date" and "sorry, blah blah blah" letters both take up the same amount of space in a small white envelope. There is not much else in that one if I remember correctly.

3- For those of you waiting for an acceptance, big envelope and the most beautiful red folder you ever wanted to see!

I wish you all the best of luck, and hope that you don't give yourself, your family, or your mailmen an ulcer. I made everyone nuts, including the admissions office ("are they out yet?? did you send them?? when are you going to send them??")

I figure if I had to suffer, bring down the world with me :eek :lol

cheers,

md2b2006

Guest Biochem10

okay, my minerva decision changed today from "Under Review" to "Ready for Review"... I guess the day is drawing near, but when will it arrive already!!!!

Guest faraway03

Hey everyone, really nice to find this website, a support group for all McGill hopefuls......I think u can just call them out to find out if u are rejected, accepted or waitlisted (upper/lower half), they should be willing to tell u I think.

I had my interviews on 21 Feb, with the OOP applicants, but I'm the international student from Singapore, anyone remembers me? ;)

Good luck!

Guest Biochem10

Hi faraway03, did you call McGill??? I'm kind of afraid of calling, I think I'd rather wait for an envelope or call. Anyway, good luck & let us know if you'll be at McGill next year.

Guest faraway03

Hi Biochem10,

Yes I did.....they were so nice, they actually told me over the phone and that they will be sending official letters within the week. I have been put on the waiting list, to no surprise.

There was a missing document in my application form, so I wasn't called for the interview with the other international students in Jan. When I finally sent them the document in Feb, they asked me for an interview in Feb BUT told me that I could only expect to be on the waitlist because they had already sent out acceptance letters to all international students.....so getting an interview for me was merely to determine my position on the waitlist.....sadly.....:D

I was informed that there were 12 people on the waitlist, I am not sure if this waitlist is for international students (outside N America) or for international students + American students (r these 2 groups of applicants under the same category?)

But I do believe the OOPs and the In-Province applicants have their own list.....correct me if I am wrong.....

...good luck, hope u get a firm acceptance soon! Right now, I can only just....wait.........8o

Guest Biochem10

Congratulations on being on waitlist, I'm sure that there's a good chance you'll get in. I applied for MD/PhD and I'm an in-province applicant, I hope they send out letters soon because I am definetly not ready to hear the news over the phone, especially if it's bad news! I'll let you know the outcome, until then I have my fingers crossed.

Guest McGill03

Have they made OOP-MD/PhD decisions yet? I heard mid-March, which makes me hope they'll be sending them out this week. I might drop by on Monday and ask them in person. The wait is driving me slightly crazy!

faraway03: I think there are 22 spots for international students, so a waitlist of 12 isn't bad at all!

Guest med2006McGill

McGill03 and Biochem10:

I don't think they've made the decision yet. Last year, they didn't send out acceptances until the end of March. I know the wait can be nerve-wracking but try to take it easy! :)

Faraway03:

The OOPs and the In-Province applicants do have their own waiting list.

Good luck to you all!

Guest faraway03

Good luck McGill03 and Biochem10, I'm sure u'll be hearing from them real soon...:D , and hope we all get accepted!

I guess I am happy to be on the waitlist since that was the best available thing to me when I went for the interview in feb...pity they made international student decisions so early in January...sigh.....hope the waitlist moves over the next few weeks/mths....thanks for all your support!

I guess finding the answer over the phone is really daunting....why not get trusted family member/friend to do it for u? Or rather just call to get info on the date to expect a reply, then, u could kick it out of your mind and let it haunt u again when the date gets closer. ;)

moderator, thanks for the info! keeping my fingers crossed, just hope 6 international acceptees reject the offer!!

Good luck all!

Guest Biochem10

I called McGill today and because I am an in-province student they have told me that I will not be getting an answer until May. I'm sure that's not good news, but oh well, at least I will stop obssessing about it.

Guest multifish

faraway03, I totally remember you, I was interviewed on Friday Feb 21st as well, I'm the aquatic ecologist. Congratulations on getting on the waiting list, doesn't sound bad at all to me! I'm just hungry to hear anything -- I've started having dreams about it, and the switch from "under review" to "ready for review" is making me wild. Must know...must know...!

Guest faraway03

Yeah, I remember u too, multifish!! The aquatic ecologist. How were your interviews? hope they went well. I left montreal for detroit on sunday morning, and my plane got delayed because of the snow and that really made my montreal trip really dreary haha. It didn't help that the plane got further delayed at detroit and at Tokyo....

How were the activities planned by the med students that Friday night? Was it marche?

yeah.....I am glad to be given a chance, just wait......just hope 6 international students to turn down the offer....

How long will they take to complete the 'review' for OOPs? Are there any implications associated to the term 'under review' or ready for review'....seems the same to me.....

Ok hope we both get in to McGill! keep me updated:rollin

Guest faraway03

Hmmm....just wondering, what are my chances of getting into McGill being on the international student waitlist (the better half?)....does the international waitlist move at all?

Thanks to anyone who could answer me!

Guest medicator007

faraway,

I cant speak specifically about the international waitlist but I can tell you that there are people in my class who got in off of waitlists. I know its tough but unfortunately as the name applies you are still going to have to wait.

One of my classmates found out the day before classes!

Cheers and good luck,

Medicator

Archived