Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoffs

I wouldn't NOT apply to UofT.

My wGPA was either 3.83 or 3.85, I forget which. My ECs were v. good (particularly research) and my personal statement, LORs and interview I think all were quite good.

That being said, I believe that the 'academic' score is not all GPA based and that publications etc. count towards bumping that up... this is based on very unofficial although possibly legit information from an old thread

here . So with a publication and lots of research experience you might stand a good shot at UofT. I have a friend who had a lower wGPA than mine but tons of high-profile publications. This friend received an interview.

Apply anyways, apply broadly and hopefully things will work out somewhere. But I would suggest doing the AMCAS applications too.

• 7 months later...

I am wondering about this MCAT flag.

My most recent MCAT is fairly average with a 8VR, and I am a 4th year undergraduate student with wGPA 3.85.

Since my GPA nor MCAT is not that stellar, should I expect a rejection soon?

I am not sure what to make of my extracurricular activities. I have 5 years of research experience (contributing author to one journal that is to be published, some research scholarships, but no NSERC or anything big, worked in one same lab consistently, honours thesis this year) and some unconventional leadership experience.

I am wondering about this MCAT flag.

My most recent MCAT is fairly average with a 8VR, and I am a 4th year undergraduate student with wGPA 3.85.

Since my GPA nor MCAT is not that stellar, should I expect a rejection soon?

I am not sure what to make of my extracurricular activities. I have 5 years of research experience (contributing author to one journal that is to be published, some research scholarships, but no NSERC or anything big, worked in one same lab consistently, honours thesis this year) and some unconventional leadership experience.

Hope for the best and expect the worst is about as realistic advice as you are going to get w/ regards to your question. Something in your application (aside from numbers) will need to stand out since your app will be flagged due to the VR. You never know.

Best of luck as we may soon reach decision day for quite a few of us.

Archived