Premed 101 Forums

Health Screening - Tdap

I went to campus health at Mac today to have my health screening forms filled out based on titres I had done in 2008. While the nurse was filling out the forms, she noted that Tdap (Tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis) was not completed, as this was not out in 2008. I have done the Polio portion of the vaccine, which covers tetanus, diptheria and polio. I'm wondering if I have to get this done as it costs $45 and is not covered by OHIP. I tried calling Gillian Shaible, but she is not in today.

If someone could let me know that would be great because I would prefer not to have to make a second trip.

Question - did it cost you anything to get the forms done at the Mac campus health?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else coming back immune to everything? Well, I don't know about the vericella yet because the lab forgot to test for it :mad:, but I think it'll be immune for that also since I had chicken pox when I was a kid.

MMR and Hep B are "immune"... Even my TB test was positive and required a chest x-ray to show that I'm fine. But I'm a bit confused about the Hep B portion of the form. There's the first row, where you have to fill out info about Dose 1, Dose 2, and Dose 3. My doc left all that blank, and just wrote "immune" for the result and initialed it. That's all I need, right?

And another stupid question - If I'm not sure about my immunization record for Polio and Tdap, is it okay to just get vaccinated again for them?

My doc keeps putting everything off, so he has hardly filled out my form (now he's waiting for the varicella results), and says he'll give me my vaccines during my last visit. So I'm very confused.

But I'm a bit confused about the Hep B portion of the form. There's the first row, where you have to fill out info about Dose 1, Dose 2, and Dose 3. My doc left all that blank, and just wrote "immune" for the result and initialed it. That's all I need, right?

Same with me. I got my doses last year before I went travelling, so I was beeing assessed after the 1-2 month period. However, I'm still immune, so my doc didn't think it mattered and signed off on it as "immune".

And another stupid question - If I'm not sure about my immunization record for Polio and Tdap, is it okay to just get vaccinated again for them?

Check when your last booster shot was for Tdap, I was born in '88 and my last booster was when I was 15 (I think?). And apparently I was never vaccinated against Polio, so I'm getting that shot on Monday.

I want to scream!!! It sucks not having a family doctor so the walk-in doctor you go to keeps rushing you and pushing you out of there.

Not only is my varicella not done yet (but that's the lab's fault), but I think he gave me the wrong vaccine yesterday. I asked him for Tdap (since my records indicate I had Td absorbed 9 years ago), and he gave me "Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio". The assistant gave me the shot, so I couldn't even ask about it properly... I came here to check about it, and it's the wrong one???

I don't even know what to do now! :mad:

I want to scream!!! It sucks not having a family doctor so the walk-in doctor you go to keeps rushing you and pushing you out of there.

Not only is my varicella not done yet (but that's the lab's fault), but I think he gave me the wrong vaccine yesterday. I asked him for Tdap (since my records indicate I had Td absorbed 9 years ago), and he gave me "Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio". The assistant gave me the shot, so I couldn't even ask about it properly... I came here to check about it, and it's the wrong one???

I don't even know what to do now! :mad:

You still need acellular pertussis, I think... sorry you're having so much trouble! I got mine done through a walk-in as well, but thankfully I happened upon a really great doctor. Good luck!

EDIT: Although I'm under the impression that polio usually isn't combined with diphtheria and tetanus, so maybe it was pertussis after all?

I have done the Polio portion of the vaccine, which covers tetanus, diptheria and polio. I'm wondering if I have to get this done as it costs $45 and is not covered by OHIP.

I got the TDap last year, I didn't have to pay for it, it was free from my family physician's office.

You still need acellular pertussis, I think... sorry you're having so much trouble! I got mine done through a walk-in as well, but thankfully I happened upon a really great doctor. Good luck!

EDIT: Although I'm under the impression that polio usually isn't combined with diphtheria and tetanus, so maybe it was pertussis after all?

Yeah, I'm so mad at that doctor! And I've been to his office so many times now, but it seems now that I won't have all my health screening stuff done by Aug. 4th.

Anyway, thanks. I wish you were right about the polio thing, but I specifically heard him saying polio to the assistant that gave me the vaccine. And that's what she wrote too... Td + polio.

My only hope now is that there's a separate vaccine for acellular pertussis. I don't think I'll be able to get the actual Tdap now, since I just got the Td part of it yesterday. Anyone know of such a thing?

Yeah, I'm so mad at that doctor! And I've been to his office so many times now, but it seems now that I won't have all my health screening stuff done by Aug. 4th.

Anyway, thanks. I wish you were right about the polio thing, but I specifically heard him saying polio to the assistant that gave me the vaccine. And that's what she wrote too... Td + polio.

My only hope now is that there's a separate vaccine for acellular pertussis. I don't think I'll be able to get the actual Tdap now, since I just got the Td part of it yesterday. Anyone know of such a thing?

Yikes... that must be a real pain.

In my case, I got the Polio shot in 2002 and got my T-dap several days ago even though my shot was not due yet. Before I got the T-dap, I asked Gillian whether taking the T-dap would cause any adverse effects due to overlapping vaccinations for diptheria and tetanus. She said it was okay to get the shot. But I'm not sure if this applies for you since you got a double whammy of T-dp. I suggest you email Gillian about this schaibl@mcmaster.ca

Archived