Premed 101 Forums

Health Screening - Tdap

I went to campus health at Mac today to have my health screening forms filled out based on titres I had done in 2008. While the nurse was filling out the forms, she noted that Tdap (Tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis) was not completed, as this was not out in 2008. I have done the Polio portion of the vaccine, which covers tetanus, diptheria and polio. I'm wondering if I have to get this done as it costs $45 and is not covered by OHIP. I tried calling Gillian Shaible, but she is not in today.

If someone could let me know that would be great because I would prefer not to have to make a second trip.

It's my understanding that you don't need titres for dTaP, just proof of immunization... as far as I know you only need titres for varicella, measles, mumps, rubella, and hep B. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Those are the only titres I got so I think you're right

And proof of immunizations if you cannot produce those titres. For hospital work, I had to prove that I've had both MMR shots since I am not immune.

Haha same here. Because it was so inconvenient, I asked if they could just give me another one, but apparently you can actually get mumps that way.

Sorry to confuse everyone, I meant vaccine. And I called the public health nurse of my high school region and was told it is mandatory for all students. Time to go hunt down the ol' family doc...

I'm not immune to mumps and had the shot quiet recently :P So the nurse said I have to get it again. Joy of joys! And as all girls here know, we have to wait for a certain time to get it done. More delays! :D

I'm not sure what you mean...you can't have it while you're pregnant--are you pregnant?

Haha lol! I got my MMR shot today as well because even though I've had one in the past, my immunity for Mumps is gone. And the doctor asked me repeatedly if I were pregnant...and I was like no...I'm not...no...I'm not...no... all of which took place in front of my bro who also needed an immunization record form filled out.

Easy on the self-deprecation...I'm sure there's a much more plausible reason for the lack of questioning, perhaps you visited incompetent healthcare providers! :P

Well I feel like a total sex reject now. I was never asked anything related to my sex life during my many encounters with the mumps' booster shots. I must look completely undoable or something.

Well I feel like a total sex reject now. I was never asked anything related to my sex life during my many encounters with the mumps' booster shots. I must look completely undoable or something.

Lol. I only got the second shot b/c my pregnancy work-up showed I wasn't immune. My second pregnancy showed I still wasn't immune.

...but after an overseas trip, I also needed the chest x-ray to rule out active infection.

Oh no!!! I had a positive test back in 2007 when I got back from Kenya and had to get the x-rays done. :( such a pain in the butt. This time around, everything was negative for me, thank goodness.

Archived