Premed 101 Forums

Have any of you heard about this new system that UBC is allowing people to do?

A classmate just told me about this and told me that you can do this for up to 12 credits! So a B in calculus no more!!!!!!! You can get a CR??!!!

Does anyone know about this? I'm thinking that it sounds pretty neat for calculus and physics....I imagine UBC med would not look upon this to fondly for BIOC and O.Chem...???

I don't really understand it completely - it is on the UBC website.

Apparently you can take up to 12 credits at UBC that are graded on the CR/d/fail system which means you can take a course and you'll get a CR if your grade is a 55% and up, a D if you earn 50-55% and an F for less than 50% - apparently it's to encourage people to take courses that are outside of their intended program of study. But....you could take some of your med-pre-req's this way apparently??!! My gut feeling is that UBC will kybosh this for UBC med.

Anyone know anything?

I don't really understand it completely - it is on the UBC website.

Apparently you can take up to 12 credits at UBC that are graded on the CR/d/fail system which means you can take a course and you'll get a CR if your grade is a 55% and up, a D if you earn 50-55% and an F for less than 50% - apparently it's to encourage people to take courses that are outside of their intended program of study. But....you could take some of your med-pre-req's this way apparently??!! My gut feeling is that UBC will kybosh this for UBC med.

Anyone know anything?

Why? They already don't care what courses you take, only the grades. In their eyes, an 85 average is worth 25 points whether you did a combined honours in mathematics and physics or just general science filled with 1st year electives.

All they'll do is just not count that course towards your GPA, but it would be sufficient to fulfill your requirements. Also, you can only use that grading system for your electives, so say if you are a biochem major, you can't use the credit/D/fail option for organic chem as ochem is one of the required courses for your major.

Why speculate?

Here's what UBC med says:

"I would like to take one or more of the Prerequisite courses under the Credit/D/Fail option rather than for a grade. How will that be looked at?

If you intend to apply to UBC’s MD Undergraduate Program, you should consider that as applicants are required to demonstrate their academic ability to determine their suitability for the rigorous MD curriculum, taking the Credit/D/Fail option may not be a helpful indicator in the selection process and could potentially jeopardize your application to the program."

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm

• 3 years later...

Archived