Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Med

Guest Kel

-In regards of becoming a Quebec residence to increase the chances of admissions...is this quite common?

I'm in Montreal now and I love it...is it worth it to become a Quebec residence and forfit my Alberta residence. How can I do this?

-Is it true that an in province student with 3.5 will be given an interview at McGill

-What about the other 3 med schools in Quebec. What are my chances as an OOP students. I was told that I stand no chance as they never accept OOP (ie. from Alberta). I consider myself "almost" fluent in French and would feel comfortable studying in that language. Plus I love it here. What should I do now?

Thanks in advance!

Guest Ian Wong

Good to see that things worked out. Just in case anyone else runs into that problem, let me copy out my reply; I deleted the duplicate thread where we were figuring things out.

-----

Hi Kel,

For some reason, you or your software is including HTML tags in each of your messages. This forum is set up to disallow HTML, but unfortunately, it doesn't notify you ahead of time, and just replaces your message with the "HTML comments are not allowed".

Perhaps try posting a message without any HTML. If your post still doesn't go through, I can only conclude that it's something to do with your software.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

-----

Guest medicator007

Hey Kel,

Glad to see that you finally got the HTML issues sorted out so we can all see your question and try and answer it. Here's my shot at it.

I have no idea how common this process is, but i do know that it does occur. As for it being worth it, well that really is a judgement call. Alberta has 2 medical schools, while Quebec does have 4...caveat however, that the three french schools do not accept the MCAT and so there selection is highly based on GPA (actually on something called the CRC score which compares how you did in the classes compared to all the other students in the class and then uses some messed up formula far beyond my comprehension as a rating). As well U of Sherbrooke and Laval have been talking about (if not already implemented) using a french language MCAT-styled exam as part of their admissions criterion. As well english students must undergo and pass a french examination in order to attend the school. So while you may feel comfortable studying in french, these are still factors you should take into account.

As for McGill, in province applicants with a CGPA of at least 3.5 and a total MCAT score over 30 are generally granted an interview, unless there is a huge red flag raised by one of your letters of reference (I know someone who this happened to!)

Glad to hear that you love montreal, and hope this helps answer your question. Fell free to post any other questions that you have.

Medicator

Guest kazoo

Hey Kel,

It is often possible to maintain residency status in more than one province. For example, if you were born in Alberta and worked and/or attended part time studies in Quebec for a year, it could be possible to apply to both Quebec and Alberta med schools as an in-province resident in both cases. It would be advisable to check the specific residency guidelines that apply to your circumstances.

Guest candybits

I agree with kazoo. I'm pretty sure that you can maintain the residency status of both provinces to increase your chances of getting in.

I'm not so certain about the residency criteria set out by Alberta gov't, but when I applied to both UBC and McGill, I did so as the resident of both provinces. I grew up in Vancouver, but I went to McGill for my undergrad education. Fortunately though, I workd in Montreal for a year post graduation as a physical therapist, and thereby became a resident of Quebec. I know this is a pretty common phenomenon these days, as I acquainted about 5 people on my interview day who became a Quebec resident through similar process. Interestingly enough, every single one of them was also a BC resident! Must be a trend or something?!

Anyways, best wishes!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your input...

candybits...how were you able to maintain both residencies? And is it "legal" to apply to UBC as a BC resident and McGill as a Quebec resident?

How did you become a Quebec resident in the first place (ie. did you have to apply, etc...)?

Thanks again everyone...

Archived