Premed 101 Forums

minimun marks needed are???

Guest Mmk

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me what the minimum cgpa that is required for mcgill. I'm in ontario so will I need a higher gpa than someone in quebec?

thanks

Guest medicator007

Mmk,

To the best of my knowlege there is no official CGPA difference between Out of province (OOP) and quebec residents. Both programs as far as i know require a minumum CGPA of 3.5.

Meeting the cutoff for CGPA and the MCAT basically guarantees you an interview at McGill (barring a flag from one of ur reference letters) and from there the CGPA will be eventually used in the overall assesment of all of the interviewed candidates. Since the OOP spots are much more competitive due their scarcity, CGPA requirements may ultimately be higher in this category

Hope this helps,

Medicator

Guest kazoo

"Since the OOP spots are much more competitive due their scarcity, CGPA requirements may ultimately be higher in this category."

I couldn't agree more. In 1999, McGill received 223 OOP applications for 8 available places in this category. I wouldn't doubt that significantly higher CGPA and/or MCAT scores are likely required for OOP admission. I would also imagine that a stronger application and/or references are necessary to even reach the interview stage as an OOP applicant.

One option you might consider, Mmk, if you're keen on attending McGill, is to first obtain your Quebec residency status. This can be accomplished by either working or pursuing part time studies in the province for a year.

Good luck moving forward,

kazoo

Archived