Premed 101 Forums

Advice for incoming PGY-1s??!

1) housing, parking and administrative stuff - get them over with asap

2) call stuff - make sure you know how deal with them cuz you'll be making independent decisions and advising med students what to do

ACLS, chest pain, sob, fever, sepsis, shock, headache, stroke, pain, electrolyte abnomalities, ECG, chest xray, abdominal xray etc

Keenness, even when (and particularly when) off-service. Hardworking, pleasant, competent.

You read as much as you can fit into your schedule. Everyone is different here, but in residency, it becomes more clear that studying is not just about passing exams.. you only have a finite number of months to learn and ask questions until you will be admitting patients as the Most Responsible Physician!

I agree with my colleagues who have posted above.

I would also add another tip: don't be afraid to ask to do procedures. While this is likely more applicable to non-tertiary rotations, I would guess it's also true sometimes in academic centres. It's amazing how often a preceptor won't ask if you want to do the procedure, but will say "oh yeah, sure!" when you ask nicely.

Also include a brief but description of your experience with that procedure...eg. "Do you mind if I stitch the perineum? I have repaired 3-4 second degree tears in the past and think that, with some guidance, I could handle this one."

Archived