Premed 101 Forums

POST-interview % weightings for each section

As it stands currently the weightings remain the same pre- and post-interview. 35 pts supplemental (including: 10 essay, 5 interests/activities, 5 medically related experience, 5 volunteer, 5 jobs, 5 discretion); 25 for academics (GPA and MCAT) references don't factor into the scoring at all, except as a flag and finally interview is 40 pts.

All maritime students get an interview and the scores (without the interview) are ordered to decide for non-maritime applicant interviews.

The weigtings don't change after the interview, the 40 pts is just added to the other 60 and then the list is re-ordered based on this.

I hope that helps.

thanks doc2B. it's interesting how non-maritimers can choose whether or not they'd like to be interviewed.

What? I think you've misunderstood. What she meant is that all maritimers who meet minimum cutoffs will get an interview, while OOP candidates may not get an interview if they meet cutoffs. OOP aren't given any more of a choice than an IP candidate is.

All maritime students get an interview and the scores (without the interview) are ordered to decide for non-maritime applicant interviews.

Not all maritime students meeting minimum requirements are given an interview anymore. With increasing numbers of applicants, Dal had changed the policy to interviews only being given to applicants with a reasonable chance of admission.

This changed back again this past year because there were 2 sets of interviews (Saint John and Halifax). We had enough space to interview a large number of people and before when they were cutting down the number of maritime interviews it was only by about 20 candidates tops, so they decided not to put the time into determining whether or not you should get an interview as a maritime student ahead of time any more, so if you meet cut-offs you got an interview (for maritime students).

What? I think you've misunderstood. What she meant is that all maritimers who meet minimum cutoffs will get an interview, while OOP candidates may not get an interview if they meet cutoffs. OOP aren't given any more of a choice than an IP candidate is.

thanks for the clarification, w8kg6.

This changed back again this past year because there were 2 sets of interviews (Saint John and Halifax). We had enough space to interview a large number of people and before when they were cutting down the number of maritime interviews it was only by about 20 candidates tops, so they decided not to put the time into determining whether or not you should get an interview as a maritime student ahead of time any more, so if you meet cut-offs you got an interview (for maritime students).

Oh, it seems like they change rules often. Is there any chance of changing the best two years/last two years gpa consideration thing if they have more applicants next year or so?

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy!

Does anyone know what the final score for a matriculant might look like?

I've heard anywhere between 65 and 75 out of 100 for a maritime student.

I realize that accepted students won't receive scores so a better way to ask may be: What is the highest score you have seen that did not receive an acceptance?

Thanks for any help,

Otto

I'm a Nova Scotia applicant. I was rejected last year with a 66- at the time I was told that waitlisters hovered around 68-70 for Nova Scotia, but that if I had been from New Brunswick I would have gotten in that year.

I think things change a lot from year to year depending on the applicant pool. That being said, I was accepted (in March) for this year without a lot of changes to my application so even your own score can change substantially from year to year.

They do change a lot from year to year. I don't remember exactly what the range was this year. But I recall the highest numbers for maritimes being in the low 80s and the numbers for the different maritime provinces differ with respect to the lowest number accepted. I believe the waitlists went down to mid/low 60s for maritimers.

• 2 weeks later...

My phone meeting with the Dean was in April, and she told me something similar to what an earlier post said. My score was 66.7, and she told me that I just missed the cut-off for the waitlist, and that had I been in the NB pool I would have been accepted. So I'd say probably scores of 67 or higher got in for the NS pool this year, based on how much the waitlist moved.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on who is reviewing and their interpretation but usually if you are working full-time during all the times you can be, i.e. each summers between school, if you've already graduated be working full-time, etc as well as at least some part-time work during the school year you'll get 5 points, it doesn't matter if it's only 3 different jobs.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

I've been perseverating.

Does anyone know how extracurriculars, med experience, community work and jobs are graded?

I know that each are worth 5 pts. on the supplemental score but how are they quantified individually?

My guess is that time commitment is the biggest factor but what would you have to do to score a perfect 5 in each section? Is there a threshold level for each score or are we scored on a curve against all of the activities and commitments of the other applicants?

Any ideas?

Otto!

• 5 months later...

Bump.. new to the forum, not sure if this has been answered, or is still valid.. just wondering what the breakdown for the supplemental section works? How its scored, any insight would be great. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I found the academics breakdown, but not this one!

Thanks in advance guys!

Bump.. new to the forum, not sure if this has been answered, or is still valid.. just wondering what the breakdown for the supplemental section works? How its scored, any insight would be great. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I found the academics breakdown, but not this one!

Thanks in advance guys!

supplemental is 35 pts - medically related volunteer work (5), non-medically related volunteer work (5), Awards/scholarships/publications (5), Jobs (5), clubs/societys/extracurricular activities (5), essay (10)... the titles of each sections are along those lines

Is the academic only worth 25 points then? I had seen that it was 30 before, 25 from GPA and MCAT and 5 for awards/publications/scholarships.

Guess I'm just wondering if it is 35 supplemental and 25 academic now instead of 30 and 30 with the only difference being that the 5 points for awards, etc was moved to supplemental?

Thanks for the post! Great info, if you have any idea how those sections are scored that'd be great as well, I'm assuming time-commitment is the largest factor for all of the volunteer work and EC's and jobs? How about the essay?

Thanks again!

Is the academic only worth 25 points then? I had seen that it was 30 before, 25 from GPA and MCAT and 5 for awards/publications/scholarships.

Guess I'm just wondering if it is 35 supplemental and 25 academic now instead of 30 and 30 with the only difference being that the 5 points for awards, etc was moved to supplemental?

Thanks for the post! Great info, if you have any idea how those sections are scored that'd be great as well, I'm assuming time-commitment is the largest factor for all of the volunteer work and EC's and jobs? How about the essay?

Thanks again!

No Problem!

Supplemental (35)

MCAT (10)

GPA (15)

Interview (40)

For 100 pts total

yea i dont think they give much info on how they are scored. I think a perfect 10 on mcat is somewhere between 32 and 34. and it goes down with every point im pretty sure. again im not sure about GPA scoring - ur gpa is done using omsas's conversion table. for interview their are ten stations they remove ur best and ur worst and ive been told each is scored out of 5 for a total of 40 pts. as fer the scoring of supplementals, it is most likely based on quality and quantity both.

I would scan some of the application threads from like july/august last summer and find some of the users who posted alot about this, especially those who offered to proof read essays - there are students who have done admissions electives and would know alot more about the internals of the process than I do.

Archived