Premed 101 Forums

Is this MCAT score good enough for a competitive med school here in Canada?

Would you mind telling me your GPA, MCAT scores and ECs? Just so I have a faint idea?

Thanks.

sure

GPA : 3.89

MCAT: 11, 12, 6 (i know), Q

ECs: hospital volunteer, research for 3 years no publications though, run for the cure committee, blood clinic volunteer leader, makeup artistry student (college) and volunteered for theatre and fashion shows to do their makeup. Oh and I moved to Canada in 2005, hence my low verbal. I had a year of university overseas (med school) before deciding to do it the harder way and do my undergrad here.

You just need to find the school that looks at your strengths and less at your weaknesses

hope that helps,

sure

GPA : 3.89

MCAT: 11, 12, 6 (i know), Q

ECs: hospital volunteer, research for 3 years no publications though, run for the cure committee, blood clinic volunteer leader, makeup artistry student (college) and volunteered for theatre and fashion shows to do their makeup. Oh and I moved to Canada in 2005, hence my low verbal. I had a year of university overseas (med school) before deciding to do it the harder way and do my undergrad here.

You just need to find the school that looks at your strengths and less at your weaknesses

hope that helps,

Thanks kinmed,

That's a very impressive ECs list you have there! My ECs are far less impressive though. I've done a summer of volunteer at a hospital and 8 months of co-op research at UHN and that's basically it. Although I'm fully aware of that and am definitely planning on getting involved in more ECs.

Do you know during which application stage do they ask you for references?

for ubc, they ask for them if you're invited for an interview. In terms of factoring it, rumors has it that it does not officially count but a bad reference can hurt you....

for ECs, it is never too late to work on these!!!

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to take the MCAT again this July and try my luck with it (obviously also studying for it).

As a ESL student and some who also came to Canada in 2005, bravo for you ! You set a good example for me!

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to take the MCAT again this July and try my luck with it (obviously also studying for it).

Good decision IMHO. I also have a 9 in verbal (12's in science and R) and chose not to re-write last summer. Big mistake...I will now be re-writing and have had to put in the time to refresh on all the science knowledge that I could have just used last summer for a rewrite. As witnessed this year, a 10+ in VR is what you really need to have a decent chance at an acceptance in ON no matter your other section scores.

Good luck to you!

As a ESL student and some who also came to Canada in 2005, bravo for you ! You set a good example for me!

I hope next year I see your post in the Accepted list :):D Best of luck!!

Good decision IMHO. I also have a 9 in verbal (12's in science and R) and chose not to re-write last summer. Big mistake...I will now be re-writing and have had to put in the time to refresh on all the science knowledge that I could have just used last summer for a rewrite. As witnessed this year, a 10+ in VR is what you really need to have a decent chance at an acceptance in ON no matter your other section scores.

Good luck to you!

Thanks!

Would you mind posting your GPA and EC's as well?

• 3 weeks later...

I got into UofT with an 8 in Verbal, so I think you'll be okay at UofT assuming the rest of your application is stellar, however your odds at UWO and Queens are low, so it depends on what school you want, and since you do want UofT, I say apply now with that score, if it doesn't work out, re-write next summer and apply again and do something cool in the meantime.

Sorry for the run-on sentence lol.

Archived