Premed 101 Forums

Qeustions about Mcgill from OOP applicant

medtech

1. the MDCM program is the same as MD programs in other provinces right?

2. I realize there's only 9 OOP spots but is there a stat somewhere that shows how many people apply?

3. what kind of GPA system do they use? same as OMSAS? what's the average GPA for OOP students?

I'm sorry that if you can find this info from somewhere but I did look around the mcgill website and couldn't find this stuff...

Yes

2. I realize there's only 9 OOP spots but is there a stat somewhere that shows how many people apply?

I don't have a clue but expect McGill might give you the information for previous years. Mind you, I have recently met with the adcom and found their answers to questions did not always make sense.

3. what kind of GPA system do they use? same as OMSAS? what's the average GPA for OOP students?

An OOP would need to be highly competitive in terms of GPA at the starting gate, so I would imagine (but do not know), you are talking in the 3.9 range, but ask Deeman, rach or ontariostudent who would know this.

I'm sorry that if you can find this info from somewhere but I did look around the mcgill website and couldn't find this stuff...

The true test is to apply and see how it goes. Apparently, MCAT is no longer a consideration for OOPs. GL! :)

The CM stands for masters of surgeon. So you get that with your MD. But thats just McGill being old school, back when there was a distinction between a physician and a surgeon.

There was 8 OOP this year. Or at least I'm pretty sure there was. 8 OOP and 4 internationals. Anyways there are ~25 interviewees selected for each pool, and these 25ish represent the top 6% percent of applicants. According the the adcoms at McGill at least.

They don't use OMSAS. For UofT they used the undergrad GPA as is. For schools that don't work on the 4.0 scale they probably have some sort of formula to figure it out.

Apparently, MCAT is no longer a consideration for OOPs. GL! :)

Oh wow. Thats gonna make life tough for people that don't have 4.0s!

It seems nothing stands still in life! :D

As for the MCAT, this is from the mcgill admissions FAQS:

Note: This policy is in effect as of July 1, 2010.

Am I required to write the MCAT?

Applicants who are eligible for the Quebec University and the Out of Province Canadian University categories and whose degree for the basis of admission is from a Canadian university are not required to write the MCAT.

so no one from a Canadian school needs the MCAT for McGill anymore.

Hey Dee, please let us know your decision in the end!

They don't use OMSAS. For UofT they used the undergrad GPA as is. For schools that don't work on the 4.0 scale they probably have some sort of formula to figure it out.

Oh wow. Thats gonna make life tough for people that don't have 4.0s!

Oh wow, so I can forget about Mcgill, I'm not even close to a 4... thanks anyways

Do you mean they look at your GPA straight from ROSI for UofT? Like as in 85-100% is a 4.0? Does anyone think it's possible to get the 1 full year of general chemistry requirement waived for UofT students? I have 0.5 only.

Do you mean they look at your GPA straight from ROSI for UofT? Like as in 85-100% is a 4.0? Does anyone think it's possible to get the 1 full year of general chemistry requirement waived for UofT students? I have 0.5 only.

Just take it during the year you apply.

Oh wow, so I can forget about Mcgill, I'm not even close to a 4... thanks anyways

The very next section of the FAQs on the mcgill website says that MCAT scores well be considered if you choose to submit them. So if you killed the MCAT, it should help you somewhat.

Edit: sorry not FAQs, its actually on the admissions criteria (or something similar) page.

The very next section of the FAQs on the mcgill website says that MCAT scores well be considered if you choose to submit them. So if you killed the MCAT, it should help you somewhat.

Yeah I have a weird feeling that they will still look at the MCAT, but just not explicitly stating it...

Hey dee, congrats! :P I see that the decision has been made based upon your newly changed signature!! :)

Yep the decision has been made. :D

Yea they use your GPA straight off your transcript/ROSI. For getting stuff waived you might want to email the McGill adcoms.

Schools like UBC don't give students GPAs, only percentages and letter grades for courses. Do you guys know how McGill Med would go about converting the percentages to a final GPA? Thanks for any help.

Schools like UBC don't give students GPAs, only percentages and letter grades for courses. Do you guys know how McGill Med would go about converting the percentages to a final GPA? Thanks for any help.

http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.ca/index.php/GPA_conversion

That's from the McGill Science Undergraduate Society, and should give you a good estimate. You can always email the admissions officer and ask to have your percentage converted.

I went to UBC for undergrad and I estimated my GPA using the OMSAS form which has specifics for each school in Canada. I never knew exactly if they calculated it the same.....

Archived