Premed 101 Forums

what is/was your stipend?

My department's minimum stipend was the CIHR minimum (17,500 I think? That may have changed). I was a lucky duck who managed to score a doctoral CGS, so I had a sweet, sweet 35K in stipend money PLUS pay for TAing (about 2K a year). Had to pay tuition out of that, though.

Mine was all over the place! First year I got 17,500 plus a tuition waver (about 3500). In second year I was funded by the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (a BC specific one) and CIHR. The CIHR was 18500 and the MSFHR topped me up to 27000; that year I also TA'd so the total was 33000. In my third year I was funded only by MSFHR (20000) and TA'd (6000).

My program had a minimum funding level of 16000. But as you can see, that is pretty variable between students and even within years. Also, funding level is only specific to departments - things vary considerably between departments within one school and between schools.

I had an OGS (15k) and UWO pays the tuition although it's considered part of your income, you just never see the money.

The UWO physiology department also has a handy little chart.

I am jealous of those with the sweet sweet doctoral CIHR scholarships, nothing beats 30k non-taxable income.

Archived