Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

Does anybody know when invitations for interviews at UofO go out? I thought I remembered receiving one last year at the beginning of January...

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Looking back at some of the posts from last year, it seems that graduate applicants were being contacted at the end of January for their supplementary materials (published articles, etc.). Therefore I'd assume that the invitations for interviews were sent to graduate applicants at least, sometime after that. Peter, did you receive such a request last year (for supplementary materials) from Ottawa?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

Kirsteen,

Thanks again for the info. Both this year and last I applied through the "regular" MD stream vs. the graduate route therefore no supplementary materials were requested. If my understanding is correct, my undergraduate record is being used as the academic part of my evaluation...I believe my Masters work is only a bonus and is not part of the formal evaluation which determines whether I get an interview or not. I assume that if for some reason my undergraduate WGPA doesn't make the cutoff this year they would have a look at my graduate record...is this correct?

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

TimmyMax,

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember getting my invitation nearer to the beginning or middle of January last year...oh well, the later the better...less time to wait until interview day if I should be fortunate enough to get another invitation this year.

I called OMSAS to verify whether the fact that I am bilingual is reflected on the information submitted to the schools as my verification letter didn't mention this fact...it only mentioned that my first language was English. Anyway, while I was on the phone with OMSAS I asked if they knew when letters were being sent out this year...the woman I spoke with indicated that she'd heard that Ottawa may actually be starting interviews in late February this year and that we should therefore be getting invitation packages very soon. She indicated that she couldn't confirm this as a fact, however...can anybody from UofO confirm or refute this?

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Peter,

As long as they are aware that you have a graduate record ( ;) )and that your graduate course average is A then you'd still be in the running if your undergraduate WGPA was lower than the cut-off.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds05

Hi,

Traditionally in the past, letters have gone out in the first week of February. I think that although they may be interviewing slightly more this year (completely unconfirmed), I would doubt that they will be prepared to send letters any sooner. If they do that is bonus, but I wouldn't sweat it yet if you haven't received anything.

Guest MayFlower1

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks for the clarification. Yup...they do know I have a graduate degree with an A average as I submitted both undergraduate and graduate transcripts with my application.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

Did anyone else receive a call from UofO today? They called me but didn't leave a message--ugh!--and I was wondering what it could be about.

With respect to interview invitations, do they normally mail or e-mail them out?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds05

Unless for some reason things have changed, invitations for an interview will be sent by mail in a package. It is a rather large brown envelope with details of how the day will go. Also included is contact info of students like myself, who are willing to answer any questions etc. as well as a list of students willing to billet you for the night if you require.

I don't believe anything is done via email but that is not to say that things haven't changed this year. I doubt it though.

Hey Peter,

I (as well as a friend of mine) also received interview invites from Ottawa in the first week of February last year. Besides, if they had already sent out a decent number of invites, most likely someone would have posted it on the message board. So it's far too early to worry too much. Please hang in there, and best of luck. :)

Guest redgirl29

Hi everyone,

For those of you who are grad applicants and waiting to hear about interviews, I received my invite to send publications, abstracts, etc. for further consideration in the mail today. The letter says that all materials must be sent to them by Feb 28th and that the review committee will have final decisions regarding interview invites (for grad apps) the following week.

Good luck to everyone ;)

Guest Tanya24

Does anyone know if your assigned interview date/time is flexible at Ottawa? Do you have to proivde evidence of extenuating circumstances to get it changed? Thank you! Tanya.

Guest UOMeds05

I don't have specific experience with this situation, but I don't think that they are too flexible just due to the number of interviews that they hold. If you have extenuating circumstances, i would imagine that they will at least require an explanation and perhaps proof.

Good luck.

Guest gowithgoodheart

Hi there,

I called the Admissions office today(Friday), and the gentleman mentioned to me that the invitations for interviews was sent today. We should received these letters sometime next week.

Good luck to all!!!

Gowith

Guest MayFlower1

gowithgoodheart,

Thanks for the information! :D I guess all is the same as last year...letters seemed to have been received during the first week of February.

Nice of you to post...

Peter

P.S. A great big GOOD LUCK to all from me too!

Guest me maniac

Does anyone know if they send OOP applicants their invites at the same time as in province apps? I live in BC and am wondering if I too will be seeing one of those big fat envelopes in the near future or do I have to wait. What about if they reject you without an interview? When do they notify you about that?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

M

Archived