Premed 101 Forums

What I am I supposed to do with my MSc.?

Hey Guys,

I just got into med in Alberta and I have a MSc. in biochemistry. I am curious if having a grad degree really does anything for me in medicine. I know most people do masters to get an extra point on their application, but other than the statisfaction of doing science and learning to formulate a hypothesis etc. does having a MSc. help in any career related respect?

Guest viscous
Hey Guys,

I just got into med in Alberta and I have a MSc. in biochemistry. I am curious if having a grad degree really does anything for me in medicine. I know most people do masters to get an extra point on their application, but other than the statisfaction of doing science and learning to formulate a hypothesis etc. does having a MSc. help in any career related respect?

It can give you an edge while adopting research (translational or clinical) in addition to clinical practice as a part of your career in the future. To do basic research as a MD, you'd have to finish up your PhD though in order to own a basic research lab and to get extensive fundings. I guess you could get away without a PhD if you got couple of Nature pubs as a MD.

Although many MDs do clinical and translational research without any graduate research degrees.

Thanks dreamer.

Does anyone know about residency matching and job prospects with a MSc?

I heard a lot of people are having a hard time finding jobs these days. Some doctors have told me that spealists like nephrologists and pathologists are having hard times getting jobs (even after 2 years of graduation). If those residents go into grad school within their specialty, I suppose it might help them get a job, but what about the rest of us non-traditional students who got masters first in fields we probably won't specialize in. Anyone have any comments?

• 1 month later...

I've actually been wondering this myself. I'd really like to take the M.Sc in Medical Microbiology at U of M. I said it would just be my backup plan, but now I'm not sure. Like, I still want it...but does it really help? I don't know. It's a tough call to make. Thankfully I won't have to make it for a couple more years.

After talking to many residents, attendings and fellows at the hospital I am at right now, having an M.Sc. definitely helps with job prospectives. Many teaching hospitals won't hire you as an attending staff without an M.Sc.

Also, while in medical school, having an M.Sc. can really help you land research jobs during the year or in the summer to help strengthen your CaRMS app.

Archived