Premed 101 Forums

Astronomical Cost of American Universities

Hi guys,

I was really pumped about the US, but then I started checking the prices for international students (are Canadians counted as internationals?). Anyway, apparently Wayne State estimates that a student will have to pay 85,000 USD per year, including 60,000 in tuition and the rest in supplies and living costs. Is this figure representative of most American med schools, and how are people affording this?

Thanks!

Wayne is a tad more expensive (~$10-15000) than the other schools but yeah this is pretty representative. Take out a line of credit and have parents pay for the rest. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it (unfortunately). This is something you have to figure out before you apply.

You can probably get loans.

But, if money is really an issue, consider LECOM-Erie (osteopathic med school). Its tution is only $30,000 and its in a small town near Buffalo so living costs are pretty low...

You can also aim for Ivy leagues because they offer scholarships to Canadians...

u can get a LOC for 150,000, osap will give you about 30,000 over 4 years thats all the loans ur gona get :( ...i guess get the rest from parents, u can't really get a part time job in the states either (cuz ur international). I think on avg it will cost u about 300,000 over 4 years

You can probably get loans.

But, if money is really an issue, consider LECOM-Erie (osteopathic med school). Its tution is only $30,000 and its in a small town near Buffalo so living costs are pretty low...

You can also aim for Ivy leagues because they offer scholarships to Canadians...

Yep, the Ivy League schools all offer generous need based scholarships (~20k+) and huge loans with a decent interest rate. Tuition is then only a bit more expensive than Canadian schools.

It's great to have a huge endowment. :D:P

Well the tuition is $60k, but if you're spending $25k a year on living expenses in Detroit you're probably living like a king. Rent is dirt cheap compared to real cities (you can find ridiculously amazing places for less than $500/mo if you room with someone and are smart about apartment hunting) and groceries/food/everything is so cheap in America (Amazon Student ftw).

The only supplies you really need are a stethoscope, some tuning forks, and a reflex hammer. That should last you the whole four years.

Any books you'll need are at the library/online, or are easily traded. There's no reason to spend more than $1000 over the 4 years on equipment and books.

Hi guys,

I was really pumped about the US, but then I started checking the prices for international students (are Canadians counted as internationals?). Anyway, apparently Wayne State estimates that a student will have to pay 85,000 USD per year, including 60,000 in tuition and the rest in supplies and living costs. Is this figure representative of most American med schools, and how are people affording this?

Thanks!

Canadians always ask if they will be considered "internationals" in US schools. The short answer is "YES". Is Canada part of the US? Do you have US citizenship? If no, then YES, Canada is "abroad" for the Americans.

Wayne state is one of those schools that charges absolutely disgusting amount of tuition. I made it a point of NOT applying there due to their 10,000 - 15,000 increased tuition compared to most other US MD/DO schools. As a reference, Harvard med only charges $45,000 of tuition a year. I just don't see how Wayne state can justify their tuition of 60,000 dollars.

So no, 60.000 dollars of tuition is not representative of US med schools. The price should be around 45,000 ish, and on the low 30,000s for certain state schools (such as Lecom - an Osteopathic med school).

As for scholarships at Ivy League schools - you might get it, you might not. If you did end up getting it, your gpa/MCAT must have been near perfect, or you found the cure to AIDs. Most people with decent gpa/MCAT should not expect to get much of anything from Ivy league schools for scholarship.

Is lecom even receptive to Canadians because I have heard of a few Canadians who applied with high mcat/gpas, were accepted to all DO schools they interviewed at but lecom? It also seems in the last few years of classes, there hasn't been a Canadian? Does anyone know otherwise?

Is lecom even receptive to Canadians because I have heard of a few Canadians who applied with high mcat/gpas, were accepted to all DO schools they interviewed at but lecom? It also seems in the last few years of classes, there hasn't been a Canadian? Does anyone know otherwise?

Where did you hear that? :eek: Check sdn.

Check out maybe the facebook groups for the last 2-3 years of classes for instance. I hope they do but have heard that due to the low tuitional costs and goal of preparing primary care docs for the state, they prefer Americans for sure. Let me know if you hear differently though. It sucks because its the only school that is 'close' to the Ontario border. Others like Touro Harlem have okay tuitions like 35k but living in new york is like 1700-2000 in rent alone so it ends up like around 63,000 from the schools estimate

Check out maybe the facebook groups for the last 2-3 years of classes for instance. I hope they do but have heard that due to the low tuitional costs and goal of preparing primary care docs for the state, they prefer Americans for sure. Let me know if you hear differently though. It sucks because its the only school that is 'close' to the Ontario border. Others like Touro Harlem have okay tuitions like 35k but living in new york is like 1700-2000 in rent alone so it ends up like around 63,000 from the schools estimate

63,000 total is still pretty low, compare that to comp's 73,000 - 80,000 for living in southern California :P

Wow comp is that much. Why is that so isn't the tuition like 50k, so you have about 25k or more in living costs? I always thought that Ireland was the most expensive but right now it seems like it is btw 60 and 65k per year including living.

Ireland is a pretty pricey place to live in Europe, at least that's what my research said back in 2008. Plus everything is in euros, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual cost of attendance in Ireland surpassed COMP.

Archived