Premed 101 Forums

Verbal Score STUCK

numero0121407

Hey guys,

I have been doing TPR practice FLs and my verbal score is jsut stuck at either a 7 or 8...I can't seem to move it!

I did an AMCC thinking it would be different since everyone is like oh TPR is harder, it should prepare you for the real thing, but bleh, its still an 8...

I don't seem to know HOW to analyze the wrong choices I make in an applicable way...I seem to be unable to reuse that information again...

Any suggestions about how to raise the verbal score to double digits :(

*sigh*...

My test is in two weeks :(

You ought to take a break from verbal for like a day, then try again.

Is there a particular area of the social sciences or humanities in which you are really weak? If so, spend some time on Wikipedia reading up on some basic topics related to it. This will help you become more comfortable with the topics.

Do you have trouble finishing on time? Or do you finish all the passages with lots of time to spare?

When you review your test, do you find that you make lots of mistakes because you don't take the time to understand the question itself properly?

Do you keep re-reading the passage until you understand it perfectly? That also wastes a lot of time.

hey, thanks guys for your response...

yes, I do finish on time with one or two minutes left...I don't take notes as I go like the TPR method says because with that, I never finish on time, and winging one passage doens't help, I always get it all wrong. I try mapping the passage in my head instead.

It seems that most of my mistakes are inference questions about things supported in the passage. I am not sure how to improve on that.

*sigh*

Maybe you should read some philosophy essays. They are often very logical.

They are also organized in a certain way usually.

Also, take 3/7 passages, and read the first 3 lines and the last 3 lines of each paragraph and try to get some meaning from each paragraph.

Then try and use this to get the main argument of the overall passage, and try to answer the questions.

Then when you are stuck, you can refer back to the passage.

I personally think that outside reading at this point won't help you seeing as your test is so soon (not that it would help you much anyway even if you had all the time in the world). You really need to try and get the main idea of each passage. Take 20-30s after you finish reading and construct a 1-2 sentence summary that accurately adresses the main topics covered in the topic and more importantly captures the author's tone with regards to these topics. Then try to answer the questions as if you were the author. (This would be EK's strategy in a nutshell. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you too).

Hey,

I am in your boat, I write on the 5th as well.

I am also getting 6,7's. However I did TPR practise test 6 last night and scored a 11. Have you done that one yet? There are 5 fairly "nice" passages, two harderish ones. I used the PR method.. in terms of I saw them and left them both until the end. I really do find if I understand the passage it helps a TON. So my strategy has been to slow down my reading. After every paragraph reformat what the main idea is. It seems to be helping, but then again this could just be the blind leading the blind LOL.

Hey guys,

I have been doing TPR practice FLs and my verbal score is jsut stuck at either a 7 or 8...I can't seem to move it!

I did an AMCC thinking it would be different since everyone is like oh TPR is harder, it should prepare you for the real thing, but bleh, its still an 8...

I don't seem to know HOW to analyze the wrong choices I make in an applicable way...I seem to be unable to reuse that information again...

Any suggestions about how to raise the verbal score to double digits :(

*sigh*...

My test is in two weeks :(

Archived