Premed 101 Forums

Detailed Sketch -Awards

Guest Xine15

Guest Xine15

Hi.

Just wondering what the "competition involved" for NSERC undergraduate awards would be. Is it national competition or is it more of a competition within your university for the number of awards allotted for your university. I guess I also have the same question for NSERC graduate PGSA awards. Do you just put "national competition" or give more description than that.

Help all you knowledgeable people out there!!

Thanks.

Guest Xine15

Me again.

Also wondering about awards that you could not claim. Can I put it in my sketch? What do I say for duration of award? Example: Awarded an Ontario Graduate Scholarship but couldn't use it because I chose to study outside of Ontario.

Thanks again.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Regarding awards that you did not claim, if you have space, I'd put them in--I'm putting my money where my mouth is, because that's what I've done. :) For example, OGS awards are large, and you can apply for many, but be granted only one per academic year. These are substantial awards and if you are nominated for, and granted two or more, then that is two or more academic feats that should be recognized. Perhaps, on the duration line, you could put, "Did not claim" or something along those lines?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest peachy

Perhaps it works differently elsewhere, but at York undergraduate NSERC's (ie USRA's) were awarded internally, at the Faculty level. The names were sent to NSERC to be looked over, but the real decisions were internal.

I think that each university gets to nominate a certain number of graduate NSERC's (ie CGS, PGS-A, PGS-B) and then there's a national competition to get those. There's more information about the selection process here, and you can get the exact number of people who applied vs who were accepted last year here.

I agree with Kirsteen - list those awards if you think they fill out your sketch nicely. You might put "declined" to save a few characters ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Makunouchi

Every time I print out and look over the application, I think about a few more things before submitting.

This time...

Awards / Scholarships / Studentships - monetary value?

What are your thoughts?

thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For the big-monetary value awards ($value > 5K), like OGS, etc., I entered the award amounts. If you can afford the space, it just helps to add a little detail and give the reader an idea of the significance of the award.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived