Premed 101 Forums

wgpa help???

Guest Maury1274

Guest Maury1274

Anybody know if my first year in which I took 4 courses only will be included in my wgpa calculation if I am currently in 4th year and have 5 courses in all other years? In other words, do they only include years that have 5 full courses?

Guest Tanya24

Hi Maury,

Ottawa takes your 3 most recent full-time years. So, yes they will take your first year into account for the WGPA. According to the OMSAS book and Ottawa website, 5 courses are necessary for a full-time academic year. HOWEVER, myself and several others have been told my the admissions office that 4 is sufficient for a full-time year. Feel free to email them for confirmation if you wish. (not that it would make a difference at this point:b ). Seriously, it sounds like you are just fine and good luck in the application process!

Guest Maury1274

thanks a lot! that really helped...i have been trying so hard to find that out for awhile now. The only sad thing is that with my first year my wgpa is only 3.89, but without it, my wgpa is 3.97. Boy it sucks to screw up in first year. >:

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If what you say is true, then your first year will be largely irrelevant in terms of the Ottawa WGPA cut-off. It's highly unlikely that the out-of-province Ottawa WGPA cut-off will soar to 3.89 (and the out-of-province cut-off is the highest of all the possible Ottawa cut-offs). The past few years, it has been hovering around 3.83, so no worries.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Adamanda

Does anyone know if ottawa only counts best 5 courses in the 3 yrs for the WGPA? In my undergrad engineering degree I took over 5...it would be nice if they dropped my worse ones!

Guest maitre gb

is there a separate gpa cut-off for out-of-province francophones (ie. one for in-province francophones and one for out-of-province francophones) or is there just one cut-off for francophones?

whatever the case, would anyone by any chance know around what it's/they've been the past few years?

thanks,

gb

Guest FrenchyMed

From a previous post

Francphone cut-offs:

Franco-Ontarian applicants: 3.2

Programme National (Francophone outside Ontario & Quebec): 3.4

Aylmer-Hull-Gatineau-Outaouais residents: 3.6

Rest of Quebec: 3.87

Guest maitre gb

thanks frenchymed. so basically, if i'm from quebec (not the hull, etc. region) and my gpa is below 3.87, i won't make the interview, right? is my understanding of the whole cut-off thing correct? in order to be invited for an interview, you must make the gpa cut-off?

btw, where do you get this info?

thanks again,

gb

Guest FrenchyMed

I'm not 100% certain, but I would imagine that failing to meet this year's cut-off would mean that you don't advance to the interview round.

The cut-off are set by a committee from Ottawa U every fall.

I don't know if this year's are out yet.

You can contact Nicole at the admissions office to find out.

Guest maitre gb

thanks again frenchymed.

btw, are you applying to the french-language quebec schools?

if so, did you see my "date limite" post?

ciao.

gb

Guest FrenchyMed

I did see your post - thanks for the heads up.

I have not yet decided if I'm going to apply. As an Ontario resident, I'm not sure what my chances are. I lived in Quebec (Aylmer and Hull) for over 20 years, but then moved to Ontario. I am therefore no longer considered from Quebec (although I am at heart...).

I'll deal with my midterm tomorrow 8o and think about applying after that!

Archived