Premed 101 Forums

EK verbal: Stereotyping the author

numero0121407

Hey guys,

I've been using the EK strategy of stereotyping the author as you read a verbal passage to develop a mental image that helps you figure our his/her opinion.

This is working really well in passages where the author is stereotype-able lol, :D ...how do I apply a workable strategy like this in detail-oriented passages where the tone of the author is indifferent/fact-presenting?

I find it really hard remembering details and it is time consuming to go back and search and reread. Most of my errors are: "inference, best supported by the passage" ....

Any advice is much appreciated!

In my opinion, EK strategy works for the opinionated articles. I take very few notes and focus on stereotyping the author and understanding the MAIN IDEA.

For the science or detail passages, Kaplan mapping strategy works better. I make a slightly more detailed map of the info in the passage.

That way, when a question mentions some specific point, I don't waste twenty seconds trying to read through seven paragraphs and looking for that information. I just glance at my map.

Archived