Premed 101 Forums

first box?

Guest lycis

Guest lycis

Hi everybody,

Ottawa allows 100 char. for the first part of each entry on the sketch(where you describe if its fulltime/pt time, acadmicyr/summery)

but, I find that I dont need all the 100 charc...I can fit the required info within 50 -75 char.....is it "bad" to let there be left over characters? I should I try and fill up the entire section?

thank you!

I think in the question demonstrate how your education has prepared you for the study of medicine I was short about 100 characters. I don't think it really matters as long as your answer is concise. After all if 700 people make the cut off, that is 700 applications they have to read I can only imagine that they probably don't want to read run on sentences (but that is only what I think).

Not at all.... I think that section is only there to allow you to describe the "backround" of your position. The character limit is imposed in order for people to be concise. Since it it only 100 characters, you can imagine how important this part really is.

If you have space, and have listed everything they have asked, then I say its fine.

Guest lycis

cause I'm getting a bit worried....they give you 100 charcters for the first section, and I get this odd feeling that you HAVE to fill it up completely, even if you can list everything they require in say 70 characters....Just get this feeling that the 30 left over characters could be used for something else!

Oh well, I am a new applicant so I'll go with the premise that since these admissions people have to read 1000's of sketches, its better to be consice and succinct, with no fluff eh?

No fluff. Quality, not quantity.

But, if you can fill it, without affecting the quality, I say go for it.

Anyone wanna add to this? Do you guys agree?

Guest sodagrl

I am having the same problem. I am trying to describe my extracirricular activties for a high school club.

The first part of the sketch says: Indicate if the activity was during the summer or academic year, the hours per week and the number of years.

whats boggling is that they left a sperate entry for describing the # of hrs, so what you really have to describe in the 1st pt. is: Indicate if the activity was during the summer or academic year, and the number of years.

It looks really stupid because a 100 character limit is given to describe the above. AIll I have in that part is:

Academic year, 3 years.

thats it! a whole 20 characters..

Perhaps their instuction is only a guideline ...perhaps you have to include what they want, but if you have space left over, you can describe more of your activites?

I'm not sure though lycis - this is my first time applying to the University of Ottawa.

Archived