Premed 101 Forums

Being Bilingual

Guest Rome1

Since there is a preference will be given to candidates who have an active knowledge of both official languages, is it worth it at all to apply to Uof Ottawa if you don't speak French?

does anyone know what proportion of entering students are unilingual?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Rome1,

Je ne parle pas francais (I dont speak French), is about the extent of my French knowledge. As a first year student, I do not find being anglophone to be a problem at all. Just like any other quality, being bilingual, or at least having a working knowledge of French can help you if it comes up in an interview. However, there is no requirement that people in the English stream speak French. So the bottom line for you is .... APPLY!!

We have approx 40 students in the Bilingual program and 100 in the English program.

Goodluck!!

-Ryan

Guest Tanya24

I don't speak any french either, and I was accepted into the english program. I took it in high school but it has all faded away. On my OMSAS application, I noted that I was a french tutor (the truth!) but in the end this hurt me. The interviewers saw this and took the opportunity to ask me a question partially in french!! Ouch!! Bottom line: don't worry if you can't speak any french, but DO be honest about it. Don't try to impress them like I did! :b

Archived