Premed 101 Forums

Elective Advice

Guest tongtongcuty

Guest tongtongcuty

Hello, I am a Canadian from a US medical school and interested in applying IM residency in Canada. Our school only gives 2 months for 'international rotation'. If I really want to come back to BC for IM residency, should I use all 2 months in BC or one month in BC, and one month in ON?

Thanks

Cannot answer your question directly.

But I can tell you that most med students spend 2-3 weeks per rotation on away electives. Most people will apply to more than one place during carms and this gives opportunity to explore more programs rather than spending all your time at one. You may wish to spend a bit more time at places that are more important to you.

Also, most Canadians don`t get more elective time than that pre-carms, so you aren`t really any further behind in that regard.

Also, most Canadians don`t get more elective time than that pre-carms, so you aren`t really any further behind in that regard.

That's news to me. I always thought my school set only 9 weeks of electives pre-CaRMS to force us to stay in province as there are so many more glamorous places to be than here. Good to know.

That's news to me. I always thought my school set only 9 weeks of electives pre-CaRMS to force us to stay in province as there are so many more glamorous places to be than here. Good to know.

Wow... I envy you ;)

At my school, some students "officially" get only 3 weeks of elective pre-Carms... Unfairly though, that will only happen to a portion of the class (about a third), another third will get 7 weeks and the luckiest ones will get 11 weeks... Where is the justice ???

N.B. The ONLY 3-week elective in 1st year is usually right after or before a 3-week vacation, so you can imagine that most want to take advantage of that and squeeze something else there somehow (i.e. zero time off between Y3 and Y4).

Good luck to all !

Archived