Premed 101 Forums

Hepatitis B vaccination

I believe everyone here has taken the Hep B vaccine before starting med school. So I post my question here. I work in a place that involves using human blood. And I need to take Hep B vaccine to work with human blood. I had my 1st shot and 2nd shot 1 month later than the 1st one. Now it has been two months after my 2nd shot and I wish I could take my 3rd shot. I know that the vaccine requires 6months between the 2nd and 3rd shot, but the fact is I am already in exposure of human blood, although not direct touching. And I really want to start working with the blood as soon as possible. I wonder what I should do now.

I had to have Hep B, Tb and a couple other tests clear before I could start work in my lab. No way around it just have to wait for those tests and shots to happen. Sucks for you though, I guess you missed those shots in school, but they should expect it at the lab, it won't work against you.

Thx everyone. I had my serological test last Friday and Im waiting for the report. My doctor said I'd better wait for the 6months to get the 3rd shot.

My supervisor is kinda careful on my situation as I am a coop student, and she doesnt want me to risk. I'll see what my report says.

There is an accelerated HBV vaccine schedule 0, 1 week, and 3-4 weeks. Then a booster at a year.

You can probably get two more shots within a span of 4 weeks and be immunized now but I would get a booster in one year.

If your serologies show positive HbsAb > 10 you are set for 10 years at least, and possibly for life (studies don't go out that far) even if your HbsAb falls below 10. I know docs will keep checking and checking and checking and keep boosting people even if they've had their primary series.

Archived