Premed 101 Forums

Surgical residency at Queen's?

I haven't heard much regarding surgical residency programs at Queen's (or about programs at queen's in general). I wonder if anyone could offer some insight into how good these programs are (particularly gen surg, ortho, plastics, urology). Early operative experience? Academic or community-oriented? Opportunities for research? How happy are the residents?

I'm trying to figure out if I should do an elective there!

From talking to people around the country about one program:

Advantages: Small program, lots of close instruction technically, excellent teaching, good Royal College pass rates, call is less hectic than a bigger center (but you might end up on call more), good atmosphere

Disadvantages: Small numbers of staff (which reduces exposure to different techniques), concerns about exposure to varied cases (catchment area for Queen's is small since they are so close to Ottawa and Toronto), more time on call (you might not be in hospital all the time, but you can't be out having some wine with dinner either).

Either/Or: Kingston (could be good or bad depending what kind of town you want to live in for residency).

Archived