Premed 101 Forums

I can't read.

jordan19

Hi,

So I wrote my first full length today by Kaplan.

11 PS, 9 BS, and 4VR <---wtf

Has anyone been in the same boat as me? It seems like I really am missing the point of some of the articles, and I was wondering how I could improve my reading. Btw I write in a month.

I was having a hard time concentrating too (I would just kind of skim the passages and then get to the questions and realize I hadn't absorbed anything).

Kaplan's method is the suck at verbal. What I found helped most was to mouth the words as you're reading (like reading aloud...you can do this under your breath, but keep it down to avoid disturbing others).

Helps SO much.

(like reading aloud...you can do this under your breath, but keep it down to avoid disturbing others).

Helps SO much.

That takes way too much time. But it will def work with TPR's strategy where you just guess on the killer passage. Try it and see if it works for you.

My tip: experiment as much as you can until you find what works for you. I also started with 4 on the verbal and what worked for me was speed reading. So basically reading the passage without reading aloud... not reading every single word (this will help you to read fast)... making sure to go slow on the main points (so you might wanna read the main points aloud)... skimming through examples and at the same time remembering where in the passage they are so you can come back to them if theres a question on them...

Eh...

I've been going at Verbal for a couple days now, have been using the EK method - but it's not really helping me that much. Not trying to focus on detail but big picture. I switch between Kaplan's material and then EK101 passages but I'm finding that it is particularly difficult to follow the Kaplan's passages. There's always a lot of words I don't understand.

It's really frustrating me, because all my other sections I've gotten down pretty well...except for verbal....

I write in 3 weeks... So I really need a miracle.

I'm writing tomorrow and honestly now that i'm working on the Verbal Edge Kaplan book i'm getting a$$ $hit scores. I was getting around 80% of the questions right in the giant Kaplan Verbal Reasoning book, but for some reason i'm only getting 50% of the questions right in the Verbal Edge book.

I'm writing tomorrow and honestly now that i'm working on the Verbal Edge Kaplan book i'm getting a$$ $hit scores. I was getting around 80% of the questions right in the giant Kaplan Verbal Reasoning book, but for some reason i'm only getting 50% of the questions right in the Verbal Edge book.

Haha glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling.

I'm dreading a re-write, considering how I am doing well in all the other sections.

Haha glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling.

I'm dreading a re-write, considering how I am doing well in all the other sections.

Honestly i'm prepared to write it again if I have to. I had 3 months to study but honestly its so hard to commit yourself to spending 2 hours a day to study especially with sports, full time work, volunteering and friends. I don't regret anything i've done this summer though because i know its not the end of the world if i don't do so well my first time, and regardless of how well you do, its a BIG learning experience.

Archived