Premed 101 Forums

Sens

Guest UofCMeds2005

Guest snoopychan

Watching the Sens sure is making the time until D-Day go by easier. Game 6 was amazing. When Phillips scored in OT, my buddy went crazy, picked me up and tossed me onto the couch at the bar. Weeeeee! I'll be attending Game 7 and am looking forward to it, pre-game party and everything. Go Sens Go!!

Guest UWOMED2005

You know, I really hate (via envy) all you people in Ottawa right now. Every last one of you. . . especially, you Peter of the little faith. ;)

Hmm. . . head to Ottawa for game 7 and a possible Stanley Cup finals or decide to NOT repeat second year of medical school and throw $30,000 down the drain. That's a toughy.

Guest MayFlower1

UWOMED2005...

...little bit of an edge lately? :b Need a coffee? :b "Shmoke anna pancake?" :lol

Don't you know me by now UWOMED2005? I'm a scientist ;) ...I need data... faith has little or nothing to do with it. :P Like many others, I would love for the Senators to get into the Stanley Cup and take it...what a glorious outcome that would be for a team that has suffered considerable financial, motivational, blows this year. Unfortunately, the only data I have is that they get close...put up a great fight...and then miss the darn cigar!

Here's to hoping they win tonight...

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry, just excited about Ottawa's success and disappointed I can't be there. If that's not what came across, I apologize! :) Whoops, my bad!

But Peter. . . scientists have no need for faith? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?! Science is a COMPLETE ACT of faith, though very much so in a different way than religion. Faith is 100% necessary. . . faith in the paradigms within which scientists operate are correct, faith that your colleague's research, upon which your own current work is based, was done properly, faith that what you're doing is actually giving you some knowledge about the universe. . .

Faith is a word too often associated with religion. And even the religion vs. science debate really is the creation of people trying to advance their own positions, such as TH Huxley (aka Darwin's "bulldog") in his famous debate with Archbishop Wilberforce. Some of the greatest Scientists of all time (Galileo, Newton, William Paley) were deeply religious. . . heck Newton practically invented gravity on the "Principia Mathematica" to prove God Exists. At least, that's the way he put it (crazy nut!) 8o

By the way, I'm not a super-religeous peson trying to dethrone science. I just took a bunch of classes in the History of Science (the Thomas Kuhn kind where we'd actually read Galileo, Newton, Paley, Darwin, and Huxley, not the kind taught by a scientist who has looked dates of discoveries up in an encyclopedia.) It was amazingly eye-opening, because a lot of the claims Modern Science makes about itself and its past don't hold any water under the microscope. If you're looking for a good book to read to pass the time while you pop those last few pills :) I'd highly recommend "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn. It has often been called one of the 50 most important books of the 20th century, and I swear it will make you rethink what Science is. Personally, I think it's a book every medical student should read, particularly if they ardently believe (an act of faith, no?) they're a "good scientist" and "scientific medicine" is the be all and end all of finding the cure to everything.

Kuhn's a former physics student who decided to study the history of science instead of physics, and revolutionized the field completely. He's also the guy who coined/popularized the term "paradigm" though it's been brutalized by many people since then.

Go Sens Go!

Guest UWOMED2005

What do you mean, the Sens won! And since I'm studying for exams in two weeks I won't have the time to watch any of the games or any sports coverage. By the time I have the time to pay attention to Sports, it will be too late as all stories of the NHL will be forgotten amid the baseball season and the NBA Draft. Unfortunately, as I was studying from 2:30 left in the 3rd period of Game 7 of the Conference Finals, I will never have any confirmation of the Sens victory over the "Mighty Ducks" (what a joke of a name) of Anaheim, but I won't need any as I have faith (I don't need any, I'm not a scientist. ;) ) :hat

Man, reality bites.

Archived