Premed 101 Forums

housing

Guest tappety tap

Guest tappety tap

I just wanted some advice on housing...I know it's gonna be tough this year with the double cohort and all...

I would like to live downtown, near main campus, near where the shuttle to the health sciences campus stops...

Any ideas of buildings? houses? anyone know of websites to check out? Are there any postings for med/grad students looking for roommates?

Thanks!!!

Guest UOMeds05

Hey Tappety tap,

I totally recommend living downtown near main campus. It is so close to everything and really convenient with the free shuttle.

The area is called Sandy Hill... the thing about it is that it is the student hub of Ottawa U. so housing is a rather competetive thing... often landlords don't advertise aside from posting a sign in the window since there are always students watching for places. the good ones are often only available for a day or two. You may want to check the classifieds daily in the ottawa citizen which can be read at http://www.canada.com (just choose ottawa). As for websites, you may want to check out http://www.clvgroup.com they own a whole bunch of properties in the area... another is http://www.rentersnews.ca

hope that this helps

Guest tappety tap

Thanks! Just a few specific Q's....

I drove around today and looked at a bunch of places in sandy hill as well as riverside apts where I know some med students live and i also found pixley.

I was wondering what the advantages of pixley versus the riverside apartments are. pricewise? convenience?

Without a car...is either one feasible in your opinion?? I would love to live in sandy hill...just not sure if i can afford it if i want to live with a minimum standard of luxury that I'm used to! (which isnt THAT much...but all the places I found in Sandy Hill in my price range are...well...let's just say - not gonna happen!)

I want to spend between 500-600 a month tops. In downtown Montreal, I was able to find a decent place for that...but not here i'm afraid! :( :(

oh yeah by the way...I'm planning to get a 2 bedroom apartment and then find a roommate...maybe I can find someone through this board once we know who is going to ottawa next year??!?!

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Guest UOMeds05

Hey again,

My opinion/experience is biased as i have only lived in either residence or Sandy Hill... I swear by the latter. I feel your pain... Rent in Ottawa is pretty steap, I will be very impressed if you are able to get away with a 2 bedroom for $500 each all inclusive (let me know where if you do!?;) ) I obviously am not sure exactly what you are looking for: as for convenience and walking distance to school, Pixley is perfect... it would take you longer to drive than it does walk. We are talking less than 5 minutes. Riverside is definitely doable as well if you don't mind the cold or rain etc... my guess is about 20 min or so walking. But it is on the OC transpo path so it is about 4 stops from Roger Guindon. However, both Pixley and Riverside are a fair distance from Grocery stores, the market, Elgin St. etc.

As i mentioned before, Sandy Hill is really convenient spot as far as groceries, the market, Elgin, the gym (all walking distance) and there is a free shuttle from the main campus to Roger Guindon that runs from 7:30am to 10pm every Mon-Fri. Very practical and convenient.

Rent is cheaper if you are willing to go in with a few people (eg: house in pixley)... those are some options... also decent rent and nice apartments you may consider on Lees Ave. (the Citadel and Bona Vista)... this is a stop for the free shuttle bus, but a little out of Sandy Hill and a bit further from groceries, the market, elgin etc. (www.rentersnews.com/go/thecitadel)

hope that this helps.

PS - If you get a place within the next couple of days (i know that that is a bit of pressure) you can be included in a list of available places that will be made available to accepted students on May 30th.

Guest tappety tap

thanks again :) Do you know how big the houses are in pixley and the approx. cost? Does everyone who lives there have a car though to get around to groceries/restaurants etc?

Guest UOMeds05

i really am not sure about the cost... my guess is that 3 or 4 ways it is about $400 + utilies/mnth... but that is truly just a guess.

As for if everyone has a car in Pixley... definitely not. There is always the city bus, walking and taxis for big groceries (not to mention others that you will meet that have vehicles.)

Guest tappety tap

ok cool...do you know anything about what its like to live in Brooks residence?

Again thanks SOOOO much for helping me...I didn't meet you at the "mocks" did I?

Guest UOMeds05

No i don't know first hand... there is a guy in my class who has lived there for 2 years and appears to be happy. I am not sure of the possibility of living at Brooks though, as it is the double cohort year and all first year students at Ottawa U have been guaranteed a place in rez... therefore they have given the boot to almost everyone else... you may want to look into it.

cheers.

oh yeah, no, i wasn't at the "mocks"

Guest tappety tap

My search is over! Phew...what an exhausting four days! I managed to get a two bedroom apartment in Brooks residence. It's steps away from the shuttle to Smyth campus and the price is really good too....I'm going to be living with a law student.

Once everyone gets into U of O med..I would really reccomend calling the Brooks residence ASAP and see if you can get the same deal...I have looked all over Sandy Hill and for the price and location...it's the best thing out there in my opinion. (Also it would be nice to have other med students in the building...assuming I get into med of course)

Good luck everyone on May 30.

UOMeds05 - Thanks again for answering all my questions!!

Archived