Premed 101 Forums

Requirement question

Guest Gem2005

Guest Gem2005

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what are the specific requirements on the course load (15 full courses). You see, I am in my fourth year undergrad, and I only have one full year (5 full courses), which is this year. I am applying next fall, and will be completing my second full year next year. I have the cut-off GPA for my full year, and am pretty sure I will get it also next year. So I want to know how they will go about my situation. My overall GPA (all 4 years) is in the 3.5 range, but my full year GPA is pretty high. So if anyone has a clue about the process please let me know. Thanks!

Guest tappety tap

I think they want three FULL years(plus some pre-reqs)....but my impression is that they calculate your gpa based on the 3 most recent years regardless of whether those are the full time years. They use a weighing system where the most recent year counts for 3, then year before that counts for 2, then yr before that counts for 1...Since you will be in the middle of your year...I think they will count the year you are just finishing now as the most recent and then the two before that..

Not sure where you are from...if you are an Ottawa resident then the GPA cutoff was 3.6 this year...for everyone else it was 3.82 ....if you are aplying to the french program, it's pretty low cutoff...like 3.2 or something...

Got the info from here so you can go check it out:

www.medicine.uottawa.ca/p...2-2003.pdf

Good luck!! Ottawa has an amazing program!

Guest Gem2005

Thanks a lot Tappety Tap for you reply, it helped a lot!

I am only confused about one thing, I know that they ask for three full time years, but you're telling me that in my case they will look at three most recent years regardless of them being full time. So does that mean that the 3 full time years is not always a requiremet (or am I confused). Basically do I have a chance for an interview based on the Gpa of the last three years, only one being full time?

By the way I am a Quebec resident and I have been to French school in high school and Cegep, but I wasen't born in Quebec. What is the qualification of the French applicant profile. If anyone else can also comment on that, or has information on these topics, I would really appreciate it! :)

Guest camillefr

please view my threads. i researched francophone program heavily this year. hopefully i will get in this year too.

to qualify as franco-ontario, you have to show on the autobio sketch that you were a resident of ontario for the last 2 years. otherwise you will be considered quebec resident and therefore you require much much higher gpa cutoff. 3.6 for aylmer-hull-gatineau-outaouais and 3.87 for rest of quebec (i.e. montreal and so on).

Guest tappety tap

I am not a student at Ottawa U....just a hopeful candidat as of right now so I wouldn't take anything I say as absolute fact...what I am telling you is my interpretation of their website.

But as I understand it....you DO need three full times years to qualify...if you don't have them, they will NOT consider your application. However, when calculating the weighted gpa, I think they use the 3 most recent years...

You can always call and ask them to be sure this is correct.

Good luck!

Archived