Premed 101 Forums

How many reference letters?

medguy5367

CAF = Condiential Assessment Form. Go to the McGill Med School site and you can open and see it. LOR is optional I believe, bit it is a no-brainer that the referee should do both. For the CAF, the referee ticks boxes and, I believe, states how many students you are being judged against. The LOR gives credible backup to the characteristics the referr states you possess by stories, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
LOR is optional I believe, bit it is a no-brainer that the referee should do both.

They don't want your referees to send letters. It's written on the "Recommendations" page. It also says that they'll be requested from you in certain circumstances. I hope I get the chance to.

Now I don't know what to think.

Right from the website:

"Applicants are required to ensure that a minimum of three and maximum of seven referees complete a secured web-based report before the relevant application deadline. Reference letters and other paper formats are no longer the regularly accepted medium. "

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/submitting-your-applciation/supporting-documents/references

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering. How many referee's should I actually get? I have three strong referees, but I'm not sure if I should contact a few more... I'm not sure if they can add any more than what the other referees have already put down. This might be a difficult question, but does anyone know what number would be "safe"?

Maybe get 5? Or 6?

Thanks!

Just wondering. How many referee's should I actually get? I have three strong referees, but I'm not sure if I should contact a few more... I'm not sure if they can add any more than what the other referees have already put down. This might be a difficult question, but does anyone know what number would be "safe"?

Maybe get 5? Or 6?

Thanks!

Hey,

To be honest, I don't think that anyone can give you a number of how many reference letters would be safe, but in my opinion you shouldn't send too many of them. As you were saying, you have 3 strong reference letters so maybe 4 overall would be the best? Take your time to think about it.

Just wondering. How many referee's should I actually get? I have three strong referees, but I'm not sure if I should contact a few more...

Three sounds right to me. More is not necessarily better and 3 strong referees should cover all the ground that is required by adcom. I wouldn't go in the direction of overkill.

Archived