Premed 101 Forums

Graduate student-What path do I take

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while now. My story is that I originally went into science hoping to be involved in scientific research. I recently finished my master degree in Biochemistry and working. During the past year, I've had a change of heart and for many reasons I am now thinking of applying to medical schools. I realize how competitive it is to get accepted. I was wondering with the following profile what are my chances of getting accepted.

My overall average is equivalent to 6.2/9.0 scale. My grad school GPA is 4.0/4.0. My main extracurricular activities include:

-Two years of volunteering at hospital

-One year of volunteering as board in charity

-One year of volunteering as ESL tutor

I have not done the MCAT but from practice exams, I feel I have the ability to succeed.

I was wondering if i should enroll in school while working and improve my marks. Does it matter what post-bac program I enroll in? I am still volunteering and improving my non-academic critieria. Will I be able to be competitive in a year or two if I improve my overall GPA and a good MCAT score. Thanks for your help and all the inspiration from non-trad applicans.

To improve your GPA you'd have to do full-time in undergrad courses, since grad GPA isn't considered. If your undergrad GPA is 4 years or more, it'd take at least a couple of years worth of high grades to make a dent in it. You may want to consider doing a 2 year undergrad and applying to the 2 year GPA schools.

Some this also depends on which province you live in and how well you do on the MCAT of course.

It really depends on where you are from.

Many schools only take undergraduate GPA into consideration without caring even a bit of your graduate work. Some schools use graduate GPA but only for 1 year I guess. Some schools may allow lower cutoff for students with master degree but you will still need 3.0/4.0 and good productivity during graduate study. I dont know what is a 6.2/9.0 and I don't know how you did in your research, but seems like each part of your application is on average, if not lower, and its not gonna let you shine.

I guess you may want to improve your GPA by taking more undergraduate courses, or go work for several years and try to let your EC stand out. To be safe I would say taking more courses is better for MD application, but really useless if you decide to give up MD.

Thanks for the input guys.

My undergraduate GPA is a B+ (low B+) at my undergrad university. I have one award my graduate studies. I am currently working. I think the best option is for me to take more courses and overall improve my GPA. Do you guys know if schools prefer Sept-April enrollemt? Or should I take 4-5 courses starting in January (I am not enrolled for september). Thanks again for your input and I would like to hear more input about how to improve my application.

Archived