Premed 101 Forums

LFAdvice on Non-Trad vs Standard Application

Marty

I qualify to apply for one of the three Non-Traditional positions, however, the following has me thinking:

• Candidates who apply via the Non-Traditional Pathways category may
not
apply under the Quebec University category during the same application cycle.

My application is likely to be competitive with those for the regular pathway. Should I throw my hat into the 'general' ring and compete for 1 of ~100 positions or limit myself to the 3 non-trad spots with a perhaps greater chance of success? I'm currently heavily leaning towards submiting a regular application.

As a numbers game, based upon what you say, the answer is a no-brainer.

However, if you are OOP, you are fighting for about 8 spots with stellar candidates vs x no of cadidates for 3 non-trad spots.

LKet's say there are 150 OOPs applying vs 50 non-trads. If kmy figures are accurate (I picked then from the air), your chances are about even no matter how you slice it.

As a numbers game, based upon what you say, the answer is a no-brainer.

However, if you are OOP, you are fighting for about 8 spots with stellar candidates vs x no of cadidates for 3 non-trad spots.

LKet's say there are 150 OOPs applying vs 50 non-trads. If kmy figures are accurate (I picked then from the air), your chances are about even no matter how you slice it.

My understanding is that the non-traditional program is also only for in province applicants. It's a small step for the non-trads but at least it is in the right direction. I would love to see other universities doing something similar.

Yes correct.

I assumed you were OOP b/c of your location but on the basis that you are IP, your chances are significantly improved for acceptance by applying in the usual IP pool.

This new step is, indeed, a small step in the right direction, and I would expect more changes in the next few years for McGill, UBC and other med schools. Let's hope so anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived