Premed 101 Forums

worth to pursue a new second degree following 3 year Bsc?

Hi guys, so, I have read tons of posts here about second degrees and admissions and GPas, but now I need it to let it come to a boil in one solid pot.

So, I am a Mac student going into my third year of life sci, my program is three years, not honours. My goal, is to get into dental school, and most preferably in canada!

Unfortunately for many of us who had no motivation and clear direction of what we wanted to pursue in life as a career, we did not realize this until well its too late. My first degree is I think going to be a waste. i have like a C average and if I do two more years, in order to raise that average to competitive standards I would basically need an A in every course which is not what I am afraid of. My c average is due to well sleeping in class skipping assignments skipping class and you get the picture.

My question is should I do two more years and aim for an A average during those two years but still have those 51% grades stuck with it, or finish my 3 year degree in bsc and pursue a second degree in say UWO? the courses which I did badly in are not important courses and are probably not prereqs since the Mac life sci courses are general and lead to nothing except unemployment.

How good of a shot do I have doing a really good GPA second degree, and finishing a medicore first degree? has this actually wokred before?

Im thinking its better that if I know my end goal is to get into dental, then my resume should be respectable and not like dean of science advisor told me to just do two more years and hae a decent shot. No I want the best shot, someone said go big or go home, that is what I want I want to make sure I have a 80-90 percent chance of getting in and the only way that is likely to happen is apparently through second degree, I wanted to do a UWO degree in biology , am I right? right direction? should I follow it?

Im thinking its better that if I know my end goal is to get into dental, then my resume should be respectable and not like dean of science advisor told me to just do two more years and hae a decent shot. No I want the best shot, someone said go big or go home, that is what I want I want to make sure I have a 80-90 percent chance of getting in and the only way that is likely to happen is apparently through second degree, I wanted to do a UWO degree in biology , am I right? right direction? should I follow it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything is possible. I say this as a former C student. Sounds like your best bet is a second degree although I really don't know how dental schools evaluate two degree GPAs.

First step you need to take is get informed and determine how badly you want this. The rest is just details.

thanks for your comment,

Yes I realized I really want it since I know I can achieve it, If something is within my realm I suppose I will aim for the highest most achievable goal

Right now this is my first post in my beguinning attempt at getting informed as you said. I arleady talked with my science advisor but will then talk with career clinic advisor for more advise. I know they will tell me 'oh but you know ther are a million other jobs out there for life sci degree and im really thankful but can we stick to my goal in mind please!

I wanted to save one year if possible so I dont know wether to graduate with 3 year degree or four year degree , then the next step would be to do a second undergrad, I think in the end the second degree will prob take 3 years or two years depending if i do honors or not, I suppose Il have to email Western to see if they accept non honors graduates students into a second honors degree

sigh , i dont know what to ask lol

thanks FD, although Im not sure I understood correct about getting into UWO Masters?

I think as of now I am beginning to think the best option for me would be to take a second degree. Not only is my GPA well below minimum, 2.3 for two first years (although I have only completed two years of UG which I kind of spent on thinking what I wanted to do with my life thus just fooling around:o ).

Since this is a rather recent goal it would also help me to do a second UG because I get time to do ECs and get involved so I actually know I want to get in (and is realistically possible for me depending on grades) once I finish my first degree.

I am also thinking that it would be best to graduate with an honors degree with the highest possible GPA and see where I stand,

If all goes well Il go into a second honors degree (hopeful western) in which I have insurance of attaining competetive GPAs. by that time (prob 4-5 years from now,) when im 25, I would be a competitive aplicant provided I have good ECs and have become a mature student which would show in my involvement and jobs along the way, (id like to work with profs as research assistant and such in Biology).

I suppose right now my short term goal is to improve my commitment and study smarter, which also just happens to be for me studying harder since I slacked off and procrastinated so much hehe:mad: well If anyone has any comments on this Id appreciate it, I suppose Im just trying to build a long term goal plan

thanks FD, although Im not sure I understood correct about getting into UWO Masters?

I think as of now I am beginning to think the best option for me would be to take a second degree. Not only is my GPA well below minimum, 2.3 for two first years (although I have only completed two years of UG which I kind of spent on thinking what I wanted to do with my life thus just fooling around:o ).

Since this is a rather recent goal it would also help me to do a second UG because I get time to do ECs and get involved so I actually know I want to get in (and is realistically possible for me depending on grades) once I finish my first degree.

I am also thinking that it would be best to graduate with an honors degree with the highest possible GPA and see where I stand,

If all goes well Il go into a second honors degree (hopeful western) in which I have insurance of attaining competetive GPAs. by that time (prob 4-5 years from now,) when im 25, I would be a competitive aplicant provided I have good ECs and have become a mature student which would show in my involvement and jobs along the way, (id like to work with profs as research assistant and such in Biology).

I suppose right now my short term goal is to improve my commitment and study smarter, which also just happens to be for me studying harder since I slacked off and procrastinated so much hehe:mad: well If anyone has any comments on this Id appreciate it, I suppose Im just trying to build a long term goal plan

I'm in the same boat..sorta. I'm at the UofA and in a 4 year life sciences undergrad (similar to you but an extra year I guess). Likewise, I blew my first two years and got a poor 2.6 GPA :o. I realized I wanted Dentistry in my 2nd year and wanted to change my habits but I lost my wheels half way through the year. I ended up with a decent GPA (Yes, I did THAT bad in my first year) but this is my caution to you. Even though you want to get those A's, you have to know this is more then changing your attitude but changing how you do everything.

The good news, as a former C student, I managed to get a 3.94 in my third year (higher level chem and bio). And I'm striving for similar in my 4th. Hopefully this will even out my GPA.

Goodluck! Feel free to PM me. I know I felt (still feel) stressed and alone when it seems like the whole world is getting a 4.0 and on their marry way in getting into dentistry or medicine.

Archived