Premed 101 Forums

Just another "what are my chances" thread...

Yep, this is another "what are my chances"-type thread, I'm just hoping the collective wisdom can help me out here. I am a BC resident.

OK- started university in 1997. Did ok-ish for the 1st yr, but got an OMSAS GPA of 0.87 in the second year. No, that is not a typo. It was 1999 that I was required to withdraw.

I took a few courses here and there from then until 2004 (12 courses total) at a community college, just for fun and because I like school. I was travelling and working in the meantime. I learned a lot about life and I gained the maturity I was lacking.

I returned to school in 2007 with the intention of med school. Good work ethic, good grades, but not quite good enough, so it would seem. I took an average of 7.2 courses per term for 7 terms straight, and have a 3.6-3.7 GPA from it. It now seems that is not quite high enough. Ack. I was trying to take lots of courses to "water down" my bad marks from before, but I should have taken fewer and really aced them. I thought I was doing well, and I was, I got the highest mark in many of my hard classes. I had to take some upper-level physics, calculus, chem for my degrees, and it really shows in my GPA.

Still, I feel dumb for not seriously looking into exactly what grades you need to get in.

MCAT is a solid 10/10/13/R with the 13 in PS. I took it once before that (kind of on a whim) and got an S and 12 in VR, so I know I can do better if I retake the MCAT, I also have serious chem, orgo, physics, biol under my belt now and would do better in the other sections too were I to rewrite. I kind of want to rewrite anyways just so I can reach my goal of 35. :) I like exams, can you tell? :D

Last 2 FT years are 3.68 and 3.61. Not quite good enough for Queens even though my MCAT is (probably) good enough.

Oh- also note that many of the courses I took to get above the 5courses per-term threshold were through Athabasca and TRU, and so they don't count towards my courseload (I think they almost always overlapped terms).

With UBCs 10-yr-rule and my residency, I have a decent shot there. With my NAQs I figure I have a 50-50 shot at an interview this year, and it's the only place I am planning on applying this year. My grades are on the low-ish side of the average I think, but I rewrote my NAQs this year and with my age I think that I'll do OK.

I will be taking 5 courses this term through correspondence and in-class, and 3 next term through correspondence, so this year will also be a FT year (as far as Queen's goes) for me. I'll be pretty much just taking GPA-boosters. If I can get a 3.9 (and I can) that will give me a 3.76 which will be (maybe) good enough.

So... with all the collective wisdom on this board, is there anywhere else that I have a shot at? Has anyone heard of people having luck with the "special consideration" process for any schools? I doubt my grades are even really high enough to warrant special consideration.

Are there any other schools that I have a shot at? This time next year, I will be moving. It doesn't matter where to. Gaining residency in another province is a possibility for me. I can tailor my other stuff to any other school's criteria if need be.

I'm asking here because there is a lot of knowledge about all the different schools. Basically, I ask myself when looking at a school, "If I really wanted to go here, what would I have to do to get in?", and then I fgure it out from there. Any ideas? Is it worth moving to AB, and then asking for special consideration to remove my old bad marks?

I'd say that if you are dead-set on medicine, then moving to AB and working for a year is your best course of action. I think you can probably get your previous life removed from the record; you didn't even finish the degree. With that gone, and if your GPA for your most recent degree is ~3.7 you have an excellent shot at both UofC and UofA. Your GPA is a tad low for UofA, but if its in the aforementioned ballpark, you have a fighting chance (mine was in the same range). Also, what would it look like with 1 year removed? UofA has that policy.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what your UBC chances are so hopefully someone else chimes in.

And as placenta (really?) mentioned, if you manage to get a high VS score and do well on Casper, you can get an interview and then your GPA is of little concern.

Archived