Premed 101 Forums

Don't know what to do/what are my chances...

I posted this in the regular thread - but would love to know what other mature students think..

I started undergrad in history, and switched after 1st year into LifeSci because I was disgusted with the quantative marking of History.. My undergrad GPA wasn't great because I was honestly focused on sports

Year 1 - 3.51

Year 2 - 3.45

Year 3- 3.4

Year 4- 3.82

Loved my undergrad research project and started an M.Sc

M.Sc - thesis based 3.75 (Heart and Stroke Scholarship but no publications).

Realized through my M.Sc that I wasn't as in love as I thought - and so started working as a buisness consultant - Later I realized I wanted to do meds.. so I resigned and started volunteering full time at a hospital (this may) - I've gotten 2 publications

so far, with a 3rd in review.

Now - still at the hospital and running a research lab + volunteering..

Through undergrad and grad - national team triathlon, varsity swimmer, runner, triathlon team coach

- volunteer - coached swimming, tutored math throughout undergrad, started a scout troop during grad.. still highly involved in scouts..

Wrote MCAT for the first time last year just after I was diagnosed- 30 R (11/10/9) and then again this summer - 30R (9/10/11 - crushed!) and just rewrote it - waiting to hear back..

I got into University of Queensland last year, but turned them down because I want to stay in Canada..

I'm doing apps now, and just am starting to freak out.. realizing realistically how bad that GPA is, and wheather its going to **** me..

I've applied to the US as well, but am worried about coming back..

advice or inspirational stories?

Hey.

A lot of it depends on information you haven't posted.

Which province are you a resident of?

If you drop 4.0 of your credits what is your GPA for Toronto?

If you drop 30 credit hours for Manitoba what is your GPA there?

What is your overall % and the % for your last 60 credits for UBC?

If you're from Alberta you have a shot at getting an interview from Calgary and Alberta.

Let me know the specifics and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

- Lupe

Ok - from Toronto -

- With toronto - I switched into LifeSci from History - so I took an extra course in 2nd year, (orgo) and then 4.5 courses in 3rd year (to save money) - so I unfortuntly can't drop a credit from 3rd year - when I drop 1 credit from the other years - my GPA goes up to 3.596

dropping my bottom 30 credit hours for manitoba (not including biochem) I go up to 3.66

Overall percentage is 81 not including grad marks, including grad marks its 81.6 (only 2 courses in grad).

- I don't know how to calculate the last 60 credits?

I posted this in the regular thread - but would love to know what other mature students think..

I started undergrad in history, and switched after 1st year into LifeSci because I was disgusted with the quantative marking of History.. My undergrad GPA wasn't great because I was honestly focused on sports

Year 1 - 3.51

Year 2 - 3.45

Year 3- 3.4

Year 4- 3.82

Loved my undergrad research project and started an M.Sc

M.Sc - thesis based 3.75 (Heart and Stroke Scholarship but no publications).

Realized through my M.Sc that I wasn't as in love as I thought - and so started working as a buisness consultant - After I was diagnosed with a heart condition, I realized I wanted to do meds.. so I resigned and started volunteering full time at a hospital (this may) - I've gotten 2 publications

so far, with a 3rd in review.

Now - still at the hospital and running a research lab + volunteering..

Through undergrad and grad - national team triathlon, varsity swimmer, runner, triathlon team coach

- volunteer - coached swimming, tutored math throughout undergrad, started a scout troop during grad.. still highly involved in scouts..

Wrote MCAT for the first time last year just after I was diagnosed- 30 R (11/10/9) and then again this summer - 30R (9/10/11 - crushed!) and just rewrote it - waiting to hear back..

I got into University of Queensland last year, but turned them down because I want to stay in Canada..

I'm doing apps now, and just am starting to freak out.. realizing realistically how bad that GPA is, and wheather its going to **** me..

I've applied to the US as well, but am worried about coming back..

advice or inspirational stories?

Ok - from Toronto -

- With toronto - I switched into LifeSci from History - so I took an extra course in 2nd year, (orgo) and then 4.5 courses in 3rd year (to save money) - so I unfortuntly can't drop a credit from 3rd year - when I drop 1 credit from the other years - my GPA goes up to 3.596

dropping my bottom 30 credit hours for manitoba (not including biochem) I go up to 3.66

Overall percentage is 81 not including grad marks, including grad marks its 81.6 (only 2 courses in grad).

- I don't know how to calculate the last 60 credits?

So in Ontario:

- You can apply to Toronto (i'm not sure if the minimum is 3.60) - Keep in mind it will be your lowest 3 credits will not be dropped - Toronto will also like that you have a Masters which is why you don't have to worry about your GPA being lower than 3.60 - See below as to why

- Unfortunately, Western is not an option and neither is Ottawa

- McMaster in unlikely but you should still apply because if you ace CASPER you might get an interview

- You are a grad student so Queens will probably offer you an interview

For Manitoba:

- If you got a KILLER MCAT score then you would have a shot at getting an interview but not with what you have now

For Alberta:

- Unfortunately you will not get an interview there

For UBC:

- The minimum average OOP applicant need is an 80 so if you have amazing ECs and volunteering which it appears that you do, you could get an interview there (The deadline for UBC has passed though)

My advice to you is this:

If you REALLY want to get into Medical School and are serious about it then you should MOVE to ALBERTA right away. Get IP status and you WILL get an interview from both Alberta and Calgary.

Alberta will drop your lowest year so that will help you. And Calgary average cGPA is 3.60 for accepted applicants.

If you're not going to move to Alberta then you should apply to Toronto, Queens and McMaster. Realistically though you will probably get an interview from Queens, a maybe from Toronto (depending on you actual GPA and your essay), and probably not from McMaster.

Seriously though if you move to Alberta 12 months prior to the start of classes you will be considered in province! I think that's what you should do because being an Ontario resident gives you no benefit whatsoever unless you graduated high school from Ottawa, a rural area or southwestern Ontario.

I was mistaken. I apologize.

From the U of T website:

----------------------

7) What if I carried a full course load in some years and not in others?

The weighting formula would not be applied. All years must have a full course load.

1) What is the minimum GPA necessary to be considered?

A GPA of 3.6 on a 4.0 scale is the minimum acceptable score for undergraduate applicants. Because enrollment is limited and admission to the Faculty of Medicine is competitive, the possession of the minimum requirements does not assure acceptance.

----------------------

So you can still apply to Toronto zeno

How do you feel about the Alberta option?

- Lupe

Archived