Premed 101 Forums

MCAT again? 3rd time depression

clémence

Hey guys!

I would really appreciate some advice on my MCAT story...

The first time I wrote was last year, after my second year. I took the princeton prep course and did the homework book they give. I didn't get a chance to do any practice tests before my test though and I made the bad decision of still writing it either way, even though I had no idea where I stand or how I do with a FL timed conditions. I see here people KNOW what they average before they write, I didn't realize I should have done that...

So in Aug 2009 I got: 8,8,8, R

This summer again, I started studying again. I reviewed all the material, I didn't sit through the prep class again (which was a total rip off unworthy waste of money btw) and I studied on my own. As soon as I was done my review, I started doing practice tests, since it was the burning issue that I didn't get to do in my previous time. I started with the PR tests around the end of June and I was scoring in the low twenties, with physical being a little higher than biological, and verbal ranging between 6-9. In mid July I started doing AMCC FLs and my scores were fluctuating, but still no mid thirties. I would sit and review all questions after the test and make a list of the topics that got me, and I went back and reviewed those. I was not pressured with the time at that point, I would finish PS and BS with 10-15 min left and VR with 2-3min left. However, scores weren't that much better, still in the same range of high twenties, low thirties. The last two FL's I wrote were 30 and 31 with 10's in verbal.

I wrote my test in Aug 2010 and I got: VR 6, PS 8, BS 10, WS R

I got really upset and now I am not sure what I must have done? I know that during my test I had a major nervous breakdown during my verbal section and I was trying to remain composed as much as I could and I finihsed with no time left.

I was hoping I won't have to write MCAT three times, its really upsetting because I really think I can do better than this. I really think it doens't represent my abilities, I am just unable to prove that...its slowly breaking my soul...

I don't even know what to do to study again, I did all the practice stuff that I have! Doing the tests again is not real practice as I do remember alot of their stuff...I don't even know how to locate what went wrong? I don't know how bad this score will make my application look...

I wish I was one of those people who nailed MCAT on thier first shot. That would have been sweet as hell...I know alot of people rewrite for more painful scores with one section only harming them, but I feel so lost...I really don't know how to make this better...

I would REALLY appreciate any help...

Hey guys!

I would really appreciate some advice on my MCAT story...

The first time I wrote was last year, after my second year. I took the princeton prep course and did the homework book they give. I didn't get a chance to do any practice tests before my test though and I made the bad decision of still writing it either way, even though I had no idea where I stand or how I do with a FL timed conditions. I see here people KNOW what they average before they write, I didn't realize I should have done that...

So in Aug 2009 I got: 8,8,8, R

This summer again, I started studying again. I reviewed all the material, I didn't sit through the prep class again (which was a total rip off unworthy waste of money btw) and I studied on my own. As soon as I was done my review, I started doing practice tests, since it was the burning issue that I didn't get to do in my previous time. I started with the PR tests around the end of June and I was scoring in the low twenties, with physical being a little higher than biological, and verbal ranging between 6-9. In mid July I started doing AMCC FLs and my scores were fluctuating, but still no mid thirties. I would sit and review all questions after the test and make a list of the topics that got me, and I went back and reviewed those. I was not pressured with the time at that point, I would finish PS and BS with 10-15 min left and VR with 2-3min left. However, scores weren't that much better, still in the same range of high twenties, low thirties. The last two FL's I wrote were 30 and 31 with 10's in verbal.

I wrote my test in Aug 2010 and I got: VR 6, PS 8, BS 10, WS R

I got really upset and now I am not sure what I must have done? I know that during my test I had a major nervous breakdown during my verbal section and I was trying to remain composed as much as I could and I finihsed with no time left.

I was hoping I won't have to write MCAT three times, its really upsetting because I really think I can do better than this. I really think it doens't represent my abilities, I am just unable to prove that...its slowly breaking my soul...

I don't even know what to do to study again, I did all the practice stuff that I have! Doing the tests again is not real practice as I do remember alot of their stuff...I don't even know how to locate what went wrong? I don't know how bad this score will make my application look...

I wish I was one of those people who nailed MCAT on thier first shot. That would have been sweet as hell...I know alot of people rewrite for more painful scores with one section only harming them, but I feel so lost...I really don't know how to make this better...

I would REALLY appreciate any help...

From what I have heard, a PR course would have included many FL practice tests with their schedule, usually one each weekend. Did you skip those? Or is your PR course different from the one I know...

Hey there,

First of all, take a moment to consider yourself as a person and try not to let one stupid test describe you or define your value. Your personhood goes way beyond what you do in school and certainly has nothing to do with the MCAT.

Secondly, you can still be a doctor with those MCAT scores! McGill/Ottawa don't even look at MCAT and other schools will just weight it.

Thirdly, there are lots of past tests you can use that are not computerized (the paper exams) - use those to prepare.

Dont give up! You can get into medicine.

Archived