Premed 101 Forums

multiple mcats

Hey there,

I am a nontrad fighting with everything that I have to become a doctor, but it just isn't working out very well for me. As my userID shows, I was hoping to have gotten in last year :(

Anyway, here goes:

I wrote the mcat in 2008, 18Q (4PS, 8VR and 6BS). Took PR this summer and rewrote in Aug, got 18O (7PS, 3VR [yes...a 3], and 8BS), so some improvement in the sciences (where I was weak) but lost any ground I made in the VR score. Still can't believe that I got a 3, I never saw a 3 in any practice that I did.

Anyway, I registered to rewrite this Saturday, just in case this happened and have been keeping up with the study since the write in Aug. I am wondering though if 3 attempts to get a good score (provided that I even get that) will look bad on an application? Any thoughts??

At this stage and given it's Saturday approaching, late studying is not going to help, so have a sea change in attitude, be entirely relaxed, give it your best shot and regroup after t hese results come forward.

I understand how MCAT can become a confidence questioner to many of us, this is not helpful. Review what might have gone wrong last times around in terms of time management, nervousness, lackof focus, whatever and just try to improve these variables. As a non-trad, you already have life experience and maturity. Use these in your best interests and what will be, will be. The race is won by those who stay the course and each of us have faced our own setbacks time after time, regrouped and gone forward. You will do this too. Lots of wisdom.

Today is Saturday--so you may already have rewritten; however, I would be taking a seriously good & hard look at why you're getting scores in the ranges you're hitting right now. I wouldn't be registering to rewrite that exam until you figure out what's up. I'm not totally certain (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the maximum times you can write the MCAT and have your scores considered would be three times. If that's so, I'd consider it a pretty significant risk that you're taking.

Today is Saturday--so you may already have rewritten; however, I would be taking a seriously good & hard look at why you're getting scores in the ranges you're hitting right now. I wouldn't be registering to rewrite that exam until you figure out what's up. I'm not totally certain (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the maximum times you can write the MCAT and have your scores considered would be three times. If that's so, I'd consider it a pretty significant risk that you're taking.

Not true.

I think you can only write 3 or 4 times a year.

I don't think there's a limit for a lifetime.

BUT with the scores that you're getting there is a serious flaw in the way you're studying. I think people on this forum will be glad to help you if you tell us how it is you study. maybe we can dissect the problem.

- Lupe

You shouldn't care if multiple mcats will look bad. You've got a 3 in VR and you have to improve it if you need a chance of getting into medschools that look at the MCAT. If you've got 18's in the first 2 attempt and then got a 30, that will look much better than just 2 attempts with a score of 18 in both. Good Luck!

There used to be a lifetime limit of 3 or 5 (I forget). This was during the time when you could only write it twice a year. Nowadays people can just write it back to back until they get the score they want, which kind of defeats the purpose of the test. I would imagine there has been a slight increase in average admitted scores int he last 5 years which will only go up in the future.

Archived