Premed 101 Forums

Interview Attire-help!

Guest wassabi101

Guest wassabi101

Hello everybody!

I am having a lot of difficulties finding a suit for my interview Thursday- due to differing opinions on what is appropriate and what is not. My supervisor/boss feels very strongly that a women should wear a skirt just below the knee and the suit should be black, blue or grey- he says one should look like the interviewers :lol

Grey's not in season now (Fall color), plain black doesn't look good on me (I'm blonde and fair) and I haven't found any blue suits with skirts. The skirt ensemble seems to be "out" at the moment in Montreal stores.

I found a really nice beige suit (with pants) that I think looks really good and classy. But it's beige and it's pants...

Some of my friends say, do you want to take the risk? Others say, beige is in for fair-headed people...

What does everyone on the forum think?? Does anyone know of any Montreal stores that carry a good variety at the moment?

Thanks for any feedback!

-wassabi

Guest peachy

Hey Wassabi,

About pants vs skirts: wear whatever you prefer! I bought a suit with both pants and a skirt, intending to wear the skirt for my medical school interviews. Then I got to my first interview, and nearly all the girls were wearing pants! I wore pants to the next three interviews - WAY more comfortable. :)

I would also pick whatever colour you prefer. Yeah, most people are going to wear black or navy, but so what? It's not like they're not going to accept you because you're wearing a different colour. I wore purple and I got in :)

Good luck on your interview :)

Peachy

Guest MA2003

Hi there,

After having two interviews, I really feel that the question of what to wear is not that crucial. Of course one should look professional and put-together, but the question of black vs. beige is really secondary. Just to let you know what I experienced at my interviews--most of the women wore pantsuits (I wore a grey skirt-suit), and there were even a number of women simply in slacks and a blouse (not what I'd recommend). The bottom line is that your clothing will get no more than a once-over as you walk with the interviewers to the interview room. Then you'll be seated at a table with only your upper body showing. And I highly doubt that they'd even remember what you wore unless you looked messy, for example. As long as you look good in that beige pantsuit, then I would say definitely wear that. I say, what risk?? Can you imagine the interviewers sitting there saying "Well, she gave good answers, but who wears beige to an interview?" ?????

What is most important by far is that you feel comfortable in what you're wearing and that you carry yourself well. Beyond that, your interview score will be based 100% on your performance, definitely not on the colour of your suit!

Good luck!

Guest tappety tap

Hey Wassabi!

First of all, good luck on your interview!! I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. As far as attire...I wore a navy pant suit (which I found at "Sisley" a store on St. Catherine near Peel. Not sure but there might have been a skirt option with it (it's a really nice suit and not that bad price) so if you're in that area, wander into that store. Also maybe check the upstairs of Simons, or the Bay.

Most of the women I saw on my interview day there were in pant suits as well. I saw one or two in skirts. I really don;t think it matters but from experience, I have worn skirt suits to interviews (not med school ones though) and was self conscious because the male interview's eyes SEEMED to keep looking down at my knee! My skirt wasn't at all short, it was below the knee...but you when you sit down...ya know how the knee tends to show. Anyways, I opted for being as conservative as possible.

Wear the suit that suits you best! Go with the beige :) ! I wore a light sage colored suit to all my interviews (I know it sounds aweful, but it was really nice). I think the most important thing is that you look professional and feel confident in what you wear. I can tell you that I acutually felt alot more confident because I was wearing a expensive, nice quality suit (which I happened to get on an awesome sale!) than if I had worn a typical black suit. That noted, at my interview in Ottawa, almost every single girl was wearing a black pant suit - definetly underdressed compared to my other interviews! As long as you look neat, clean, and professional, you'll do great! Good luck!

Megs

Guest carletongirl

I think you should dress in what you feel comfortable, but also wear something that expresses your individuality. I wore a light green skirt (just below the knee) and a blouse (green flecks on off-white) to my interviews. I think I was the only girl wearing a skirt and wearing non-black clothes. But I didn't feel like the odd one out because I felt that I was being "me". And the blouse was one that my grandmother had made for me...so it was a source of comfort that helped me in the interview.

Guest stargirl

carletongirl, you looked great...this is just my opinion, but i thought that you LOOKED like a doctor in a regular office/clinic/whatever looks...the rest of us looked like we were joining the cia or fbi... ;)

but i agree...wear whatever makes you feel comfortable...last year i wore a long skirt, but it was the wraparound kind and i felt like it kept flapping open every time i sat down...so this year, i opted for a pant suit...one less thing to worry about...

Guest wassabi101

Hey guys (gals)!

Thanks for all your feedback! I just bought my suit :D and low and behold, it is a black skirt ensemble ;) I tried different beiges and different blacks, pants and skirts alike and in the end, it was all due to the snug fit and this beautiful gold blouse I just had to have. Funny how despite me trying to rebel against the conservative itch, I ended up with the classic look nevertheless :lol

Now I have to decide on the nylons....black or beige?? lol just kidding ;)

Thanks again for all the help on the forum- off to Ottawa I go!

:rollin

-wassabi

:lol

Guest carletongirl

Awww...how nice of you to compliment my outfit stargirl! I have to say that I loved it too and that it made me feel like myself ;)

Archived