Premed 101 Forums

for med students .. about bilingualism

Guest martyb

Guest martyb

Hi

As a bilingual student, I considered, but opted against applying to the french program. I know that if no equivalent course can be offered in French, the francophone students join the anglo classes. Are anglo students able to join some of the francophone classes if they want to gain proficiency in terminology, etc. ? I guess what I'm asking is whether the school is fully bilingual in terms of academics, or does it simply have an english and a french program running in parallel. I would very much like to think that if I become a physician, I could practise in both official languages, and this would be facilitated if some of my education could be in French.

Thanks

marty

Guest MayFlower1

martyb,

Although I'm not a med student...this question was asked on our tour on interview day. The student indicated that, as long as there is room in the other class you can attend french classes. However, apparently, it's obligatory that you attend PBL in the language of the program in which your enrolled...in our case, it would be english.

Peter

Guest UOMeds05

Hey Martyb,

Mayflower is quite right. I am in the same boat as you. I am quite bilingual but chose to apply to the anglophone stream just because i am more proficient in English. The Faculty really has 2 separate programs that run in parallel. Almost everything is now offered in both languages so it is quite seldom that the 2 classes are together. However, aside from PBL, PSD (Physician skills development) and a few other small group activities, you are pretty much free to follow either stream. I have on a number of occasions sat in on french lectures but have done so a lot less frequently lately as i find more and more the schedules do not coincide. So if for example the anglophone class is in a pathophysiology lecture the francophone class may not have it until the following day, so you end up missing lectures.

I am one of the very few anglophones who went to any francophone lectures, and it was not often so there was never any problem. However, a francophone student who basically only attends anglophone lectures may run into a bit of a problem.

hope that this helps.

Archived