Premed 101 Forums

To Mayflower

Guest aneliz

Guest aneliz

Hey Peter,

If my memory serves me correctly (and isn't too full of psychiatry stats for tomorrow's exam!), your interview is either today or tomorrow. Best of luck. I'm sure you will be great! Let us know how it goes! :D

Andrea

Guest MayFlower1

aneliz...you scared the "poo" out of me :eek ...I actually had to run downstairs to re-check my interview date! Whew, thankfully I was right...it's next friday, March 14th at 8:30am ;)

Thanks so much for the good wishes...I am flattered that you have me somewhere near the top of what must be an incredible work load and personal life. You're very considerate and thoughtful...it's so nice to know I have so many friends in this forum...one of the best aspects of hangin' around here.

I'll definitely let you know how I "perceived" my interview...although, based on my experiences last year and the stories of others I'm not sure how helpful that will be in predicting the outcome at the end of May.

Ooooh...and by the way...I can't wait until the psychiatry stuff...and the epidemiology...parts of the program should I ever manage to get in...those will be the "review" parts for me.

Thanks again.

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there Peter,

Did you complete a degree in Epi along with your M.Sc. in Psychology (I think I recall that being your grad degree)?

Cheers, and a dose of good luck when the big day rolls around,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

Kirsteen,

Nope...but I've done quite a bit of EPI along the way...most recently with Health Canada (Department of Healthy Human Development and Epidemiology). I love EPI...stats...and everything else that goes along with it!

Peter

Guest aneliz

SORRY!!!! I imagine that I managed to spike your heart rate up quite a bit -- and totally unintentionally! I guess that the deep dark distant corner of my mind remembered the "4" part and not the "1" that was before it!!! (I am running out of deep dark corners in my mind to put things in!) Anyway, I sincerely wish you the best of luck and if it was up to me, you'd be in, absolutely no question. :D

Guest MayFlower1

aneliz,

No apology necessary. You are very kind. I'll let you know how things turn out. Best of luck on your exam.

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Dannyboy,

I am a very efficient sleeper ;) This is one of the attributes which, if I ever get accepted, is likely to keep me in relatively good shape during call... :\ I typically go to sleep pretty early during week nights...between 10:00pm and 11:00pm...but my internal clock ALWAYS gets me up between 3:00am and 4:00am. It is quite annoying sometimes...for sure...I'd love to be able to sleep more...but when I wake up I feel rested...refreshed, etc...so I can't really complain. Being up early also has some great advantages...I get a lot of stuff done that many people are rushed to get done after work or on weekends.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kellyl20

Mayflower: Very happy for you that your interview went so well. You deserve to get in as you seem to be so kind and caring in these posts, to everyone.

I wonder if you mind sharing what did you get to do when you volunteer at ST John Ambulance. And also, what level of certification do you need for this?

:)

Guest MayFlower1

Hi kelly,

Thanks for the support...and kind words.

I'm with Brigade 1042 in Ottawa. There are, I believe, three other active groups in the area...one in the west end...one in the east end...and one associated with, I believe, Carleton university. Of course, ours is the best brigade :b

The brigade is a ton of fun...obviously, one of the things we do is provide first aid at various public and private events. Typical events we provide service at are: the Ottawa Exhibition (one of our big events); Ottawa 67's hockey games; various home, garden, boat, craft, cottage shows...basically, we could be doing duties at any event which draws a large number of people. Last year, after not getting into med school at UofO, I covered the outdoor concert at frosh... and darn it, the UofO meds student frosh came bye... while I was happy for them, it made my heart sink...they seemed like a great bunch of people. Anyway, I got over it.... ha ha. We provide first aid...it's amazing the range of injuries and problems we encounter...hours of absolute boredom...interrupted by seconds of sheer terror (well terror is way to strong...but it makes a point).

Aside from duties we attend, there are weekly Brigade meetings. During meetings, participation in duties is organized and other matters of business are taken care of in the first hour...the second hour is devoted to learning. Each week a module on some part of first aid is prepared by our training officer...we go over it... then we practice the principles from that section with mock situations, using each other as casualties...some of us are naturally better at being casualties than others ;)

To volunteer with St. John Ambulance, you need your CPR "C" and basic first aid courses...when you're joining a Brigade you get this training free of charge...at least, that was the case with our brigade. When you're on duty with these qualifications, you are always paired up with a more experienced partner who has BTS-1 (Brigade Trainng System, Level 1) certification. BTS certification is basically the same as the CPR-C/first aid you will get when you join, but it's much more in depth. In the CPR-C/basic first aid courses, only some of the modules in the St. John Ambulance training manual are covered. In the BTS-1 certification process you have to learn the entire manual front to back. To get the certification you must pass a written test and you are also required to do 3 mock patient scenarios which you are graded on by an examiner.

I have to say, SJA is much more than volunteering for first aid duties (although this is obviously a large part...and a great deal of satisfaction and fun can be had)...it's also about comradery, continuous learning, etc. It's an amazing experience.

If you're interested in finding out more, please post here or feel free to email me at peterhill16@hotmail.com

I hope this has been helpful.

Peter

Guest medicator007

Hey Peter,

Just a nomenclature question vis a vis SJA in ontario.... here in Quebec we belong to divisions not brigades ( ie... im in division 777).... several divisions are grouped into a region..ie. region 06-montreal.... All the regions in quebec are part of quebec council...etc.

Just neat to see the differences...

Medicator

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks medicator...

...I had absolutely no idea...hey, I learned something new today...thanks for pointing that out. Are there any other regional differences like this?

Peter

Guest kellyl20

Mayflower: Thanks a bunch! You have been helpful, as always. Your willingness to share and help others is tops! If I should ever come to Ottawa to celebrate my BD on July 1st. I will definitely look you up to say hello.

Guest medicator007

Peter,

Given I am in Quebec, there are certainly loads of differences :-(

Including... we do not go any higher than BTS-2 in the province, unlike the rest of the country. Provincial council recently changed the epaulette ranks and stripes b/c they felt like they needed something to do... i'm sure there are others.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest MayFlower1

thanks medicator...I hope you do well on all of your upcoming exams.

kelly, I'd love to have a b-day celebration drink with you!

Peter

Guest Cosmo0

From what I read of your interview, it sounds like a done deal. So I thought I'd ask you for advise; as at 33, this is my first ever Meds interview, and the only one this year... Maybe I'd escape paying my (seemingly unescapable) dues of unsuccessful interview or two, or a few. So my question is, as your last year's experience at Ottawa sounded pretty good also, what did you change/learn from it? Or was it just how it went this year. I don't really know what I might be bad at. I guess, a few mocks are in order. Good luck to you, and you really deserve it.

Guest MayFlower1

Cosmo,

Nice to hear from you...

From what I read of your interview, it sounds like a done deal.

First off, let me say that this is FAR from being a done deal. You never know how you've done until you get the acceptance/waitlist/bad waitlist letter. Believe me, I thought I had a great interview last year... hmmmm. My first "lesson learned" was this... your perception of how you did in the interview has no bearing on weather you get a spot. There were people who said they completely muffed their interviews... not being able to say anything other than "I'm sorry, I really don't know anything about that" ...in response to questions posed... and they got a spot...then there were people like me who thought they did really well...guess what...some got offers some got bad waitlisted, like me. :)

So I thought I'd ask you for advise; as at 33, this is my first ever Meds interview, and the only one this year... Maybe I'd escape paying my (seemingly unescapable) dues of unsuccessful interview or two, or a few.

I'm don't believe you have to "pay dues". Based on the people I know (my wife being one...and about 5 of our friends who are now docs), most don't get in on their first try... but many do. My wife was the gold medalist in genetics at Western... she didn't even get an acceptance from Western her first time. Her second time she was accepted by Dal and UofO... she went to UofO.

So my question is, as your last year's experience at Ottawa sounded pretty good also, what did you change/learn from it? Or was it just how it went this year.

I believe everyone's experience is unique. Also, each interview you pesonally have will be unique. What did I change? Last year I felt like I had to justify the fact that I could still do academic work after 12+ years of being out of school... WRONG approach. Once you're at an inteview, you've already jumped the academic hoop. In the interview they are interested in you, your motivations... they want to see if "they can stand you for 6+ years" ;) ...etc. My advice may be unuseful since I'm still not in, however, this year, I focussed on showing them who I was as an individual...what makes me unique...what my personality is like...how I shine as an an individual in my own right, as opposed to competing with or contrasting myself against others. As "motherhood" as it sounds... I believe the advice commonly heard around here "just be yourself" is probably the best advice I've heard, however, it takes some introspection and interpretation to understand what that means for yourself. Although this is a competitive process, I am truly beginning to believe we are in competition with ourselves rather than with each other...

I don't really know what I might be bad at. I guess, a few mocks are in order.

It concerns me that you would say this... hopefully you will have this figured out before you walk into the interview. You really do need to know yourself... what you're good at... what you're weak in. This is the stuff about "knowing yourself" that I just spoke about. I would strongly suggest participating in some live mocks... I found them extremely helpful... and, if possible, find some current med students to run them with you.

Good luck to you, and you really deserve it.

Thanks very much. I wish you good luck as well. If there's anything else I can provide an opinion on please feel free to ask.

Peter

Guest goldchair19

Hi Peter,

I think you've made it clear that Ottawa is your first choice among med schools. Can you tell us the reasons for that?

Thanks

Guest MayFlower1

goldchair,

I'd be happy to...there are a bunch of reasons why one would choose the UofO program over any others:

1) Bilingualism & Culture - The interface of francophone and anglophone Canada brings a unique, diverse, culture that I cherish. I grew up in Montreal submerged in this environment...most of my friends are francophone...the differences and similarities between anglophones and francophones brings about an opportunity to learn if you look for it...the UofO is the only school that offers such an environment in my opinion. Also, the students I have met (regardless of whether they are franco or anglo) are amazing...they'd do anything for you at the drop of a hat. The "people" environment" is very important to me. Everything I have seen indicates a warm, friendly, supportive, non-competitive environment...very important factors for me personally.

2) Innnovation - The UofO was the first, or at least one of the first depending on how you look at it, school to fully integrate a laptop program and and e-curriculum. Innovation is important to me and so is leveraging the power of the internet.

3) The UofO has an approach to learning that fits me. As you can appreciate, the program is structured with a good balance of classroom time, small group learning, and self-directed study. This is the right formula for me. I enjoy self-directed learning, however, I also require some structure. Also, for my entire career, I've worked in multi-disciplinary teams...once again, the diversity of people's experiences, style, perspectives, brings with it a huge opportunity for learning and expanding one's own thinking. I cherish differences in opinion and find I learn more when someone disagrees with me or has a slightly different take on the same issue/situation.

4) Research: The UofO is strongly committed to research and is associated with world class research organizations. Primary research on the human condition is important to me and has always been an integral part of my academic and professional life. I plan on continuing my involvement in research during medical school and beyond should I be lucky enough to have the opportunity to do so.

5) Multi-disciplinary systems based approach. The program is set up so that each major body system is studied in its own right...what's it like healthy...what's it like unhealthy? This approach just makes sense to me.

6) The UofO program promotes early patient contact. Again, medicine is about people...it's nice to study the theory...in fact, it's necessary, however, it's also important to develop the communication and examination skills...and to see how things manifest in a "warm body". Early patient contact enables both paths of learning to progress in parallel. I am very supportive of this approach.

7) The clerkship at UofO prepares you well for residency. The clerkship is well organized insofar as you gain experience in most of the major disciplines prior to having to match to a residency.

8) The UofO has an incredibly high matching rate for CaRMS (95% match to first choice)...particularly in the area I'm most interested in...Family Medicine...which is even a higher match rate.

Anyway, these are the top reasons to choose UofO in my opinion...feel free to "steal" them if you want. Most of these are not that original...I have found them at various UofO web sites...and interpreted them from my own perspective with respect to what they mean to me and which ones are most important to me personally.

Oh, and another great reason to choose UofO is that Ottawa is a beautiful city...a great place to be "stuck" in for a number of years.

Peter

Guest carletongirl

Wow Peter! You really did your homework. :) I totally agree with you about U of O being a well-balanced school. Had someone asked me a few months ago which school was my first choice, I would not have said U of O. But now I am definitely leaning in that direction because of all the reasons that you mentioned above. Although bilingualism isn't a huge factor for me, you are right about the people being friendly and non-competitive...that really adds to your learning because people are more willing to share knowledge and understand that it can only benefit everyone including themselves to do this.

Guest MayFlower1

hey carletongirl...

When's your Mac interview? When's your UofO interview?

Also, please e-mail me sometime soon...I'm planning a party for our mock interviewers at my place... in case you don't have my home email address please email my hotmail account peterhill16@hotmail.com

Talk to you soon.

Peter

Guest goldchair19

Peter, thanks so much for your obviously very well thought out response to that question.

I think the question of "why Ottawa" is kind of a funny one . . . in that it presumes a choice when one may not exist.

What do you think about Mac's program in comparison to U of O?

Guest carletongirl

Hi Peter,

My U of O interview is...tomorrow at 2:45 p.m.!! Yikes! I can't believe the day has come finally. I'm extremely nervous right now. I'm planning to bring my best friend with me tomorrow for moral support and for some laughs. She always puts a smile on my face.:)

Mac is April 5th...so still have a couple of weeks for that.

I will email you at your hotmail account. I am really looking forward to your party!

Archived