Premed 101 Forums

Billeting???

Guest NBer

hello all,

i have an interview on april 17th, and am hoping to billet with a med student the night before and perhaps after my interview...I contacted a couple of people on my list, and am still waiting to hear...the unfortunate part is that this is the beginning of the easter weekend, so it could be inconvenient for students...

I was curious if others are also billeting? I am planning on staying downtown on the friday and maybe sat night, in a hotel...I booked the Howard Johnson's downtown..I've never spent any time in Ottawa, and was wondering if this is a good location (i.e. safe?). I think the address is 123 Metcalfe...Any insight would be appreciated! I am really looking forward to coming to Ottawa!!!

Cheers

Guest martyb

Hi NBer

Don't worry about your hotel. It is not in the most fun part of town - financial district that shuts down at about 6 pm - so don't be alarmed if the city seems dead. There aren't really any especially dangerous parts of Ottawa, and the financial district is not even high on the list. The good thing is that you're close to the public transit line that will take you right to the campus you need (good old bus #85), and you're in walking distance to Elgin Street which is a much more lively area if you want to see some of Ottawa's night life. Sorry I can't offer any help in the billeting department; I'm not a med student (yet :lol ), and actually have family coming that weekend.

Good luck with the interview, and if you have any more questions about Ottawa, ask away.

marty

thanks martyb

I booked the hotel for $68 a night...so I was a little worried that maybe it was in an area that also rented rooms by the hour :lol

cheers

Guest MayFlower1

NBer,

I booked the hotel for $68 a night...so I was a little worried that maybe it was in an area that also rented rooms by the hour

That's very funny. Actually, martyb is right...not the most exciting part of town. I actually work in the building right next door. This is a very safe part of town and, as martyb indicates, there really aren't any unsafe parts of Ottawa. I believe Ottawa is one of the safest cities in Canada.

The good thing is that you're close to the public transit line that will take you right to the campus you need (good old bus #85),

I don't take the bus...however, one thing I would make sure of is that the #85 goes to the campus with the medical school...it's co-located with CHEO and the General Hospital...don't go to the downtown location of UofO.

and you're in walking distance to Elgin Street which is a much more lively area if you want to see some of Ottawa's night life.

While Elgin street will show you some Ottawa colour, I would actually recommend going down to the Market if you haven't been to Ottawa before. The Market is, in my opinion, much more fun that Elgin street. From the HoJo's, it's probably a 10 dollar cab ride to the heart of the Market...at the most. If you'd like a few suggestions on where to go, once there, please feel free to ask...with some description of the types of places you might want to go to.

Have a great interview...and enjoy the city...it's beautiful.

Peter

Hi there,

Has anyone heard of Travelodege Hotel East on 1486 Innes Ave? I think it's a bit closer to the med school than the hotels downtown (at least from the map that I was looking at). But it's in Gloucester?! Does anyone know if this is a safe area or if it's on a bus route or if there is any restaurants/malls nearby where I can eat?

Edit: Actually, maybe Gloucester isn't that close...

thanks Mayflower

Do you have any suggestions for a hotel closer to the downtown core (i.e. the market, etc.). I'm not worried about the bus for getting to my interview as I am hoping to billet for the night before and after my interview...but I am staying in Ottawa for the weekend, so would like to be situated more downtown to do some sightseeing, shopping, eating, etc..

One of my previous roomates from university lives in Pembroke and is coming down for the weekend to stay with me in Ottawa, so I will most likely have a personal tour guide!

I'm really excited about seeing Ottawa (...but I guess there is that interview part of this trip too:lol )

thanks again

Guest MayFlower1

Hey NBer,

If you want to be in the market, you could stay at the Novotel...it's right on the edge. The hotel you're in is probably less expensive...and realistically, it's quite central...nothing is more than 5 or 10 minutes from the HoJo.

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

JS28,

The closest hotel to the medical school is the chimo hotel. I believe it is just under 100 per night. Just to forewarn you...it's kinda in the middle of nowhere...probably a 10 or 15 minute taxi ride to downtown/nightlife if you're interested...

Peter

Guest martyb

Hi everyone

Due to financial constraints, I am quite an expert on the Ottawa bus system. Many of you might like to treat yourselves to the luxury of a cab ride, but let me assure anyone who does brave the bus that number 85 will get you there. It actually goes to both Ottawa U campuses. Another bus to take is the 16. If you're in the market, you can take either one from the Rideau Center, although from different parts of the mall. If you billet at the main Ottawa U campus, there is a free shuttle to the medical campus (Roger Guindon).

Good luck!

marty

Archived