Premed 101 Forums

UofO student performance on LMCC

Guest MayFlower1

Last I heard Ottawa perforamce was in the top 3 schools in Canada (I seem to recall they were at the number 1 place), but perhaps somebody knows more as this is more like third hand information.

Guest UWOMED2005

I think this changes GREATLY year-to-year. The year I was applying, a UWO student posted repeatedly that UWO had finished first on the LMCCs. Last year, there were posts about Sherbrooke finishing first. I don't think either testifies to the quality of the schools program. . . more to the structure of the program. At Western, we have LOTS of time to study for the LMCCs. At Queen's, they're still in clerkship so have not so much time. But it really is irrelevant. . . the LMCCS, being administered after CaRMS matching, have no bearing on your career, unless you fail. Only the bottom 5%? 2.5%? (someone please correct me) of test takers fail. And even if you fail, it just means you have to take the test again and it's a bit embarrasing to have to have someone write your orders for you in first year residency. As a result, I'm not sure how 100% motivated people are to study to get the get the best marks on the LMCCs, and I'm not sure whether the results are an indicator of a school's quality.

Archived