Premed 101 Forums

Humanities vs. Science

Some medical schools have prerequisites you'll have to take before you apply, some medical schools don't; you'll have to check the websites of the schools you intend to apply to.

However, YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE TO TRANSFER INTO LIFE SCIENCES. Most medical schools explicitly state that they give no preferences based on major. In fact, these days medical school seem to really like the idea of 'diversity', and admission statistics generally seem consistent with that.

Prereqs for schools that have them often look something like this:

1 year biology

1 year chem

1 year physics

1/2 year organic chem

1 year social sciences/humanities

The prereqs vary, but you should usually be able to fit med prereqs into your program, you don't have to switch programs, and switching wouldn't provide any advantage in admissions.

So I didn't know what to do with my life, so I signed up for Canadian Studies. But over the past few months, I've decided I want to become a doctor. I've taken biology and kineseology in the past and done well. What should my next step be? Try to transfer into life sciences?

Next step is read the stickies and lurk the forums. It doesn't matter what you do your undergrad in so take courses that you enjoy, be they in Canadian Studies, Life Sciences, or other, just make sure you get good grades.

If you are seriously interested in becoming a doc, I say go to the websites of medical schools (don't worry, theres not that many medschools... so its 1-5 websites at most) and check what they require from you... don't just assume anything i.e. "since everyone else who wants to go to meds is doing life science, I will too".

Thanks guys! I've been looking into it, as I have the flu and am quarantined in my dorm room.

Humanities isn't so bad. I heard that if you're unsure what to do, it'll give you a broad liberal education which will help you think outside of the box (or if you're a dumbass, just how to think, period). Which is why I chose Canadian Studies.

(:

Archived