Premed 101 Forums

Did not make the cutoff, so??

Guest PARTY cal

Guest PARTY cal

After reading the post about the GPA cutoff for this year (OOP), I am sure I did not get 3.87 over my last 3 years. I think I have about a 3.6. Does this mean I am automatically eliminated? or if I do extremely well on my personal sketch will I still have a chance?

should I give up hope??

Guest UWOMED2005

For Ottawa, I think your hometown makes more of an impact of beating the cutoffs than your Autobio sketch. My memory was that being from Ottawa, an underserviced area, or a french community outside of Quebec all SIGNIFICANTLY lowered the required GPA.

I'd like to point out that a 3.6 might be good enough to meet the cutoffs at either Queen's or Western (depending on the year.)

Good Luck.

Guest UOMeds05

Don't forget that your GPA at Ottawa is calculated differently than for at other schools... your 3rd year marks are multiplied by 3, 2nd year by 2 and added to your first with the average taken... it is this mark that is used. Depending on the distribution of your marks you may not have a 3.6 in their eyes.

As far as I know, only applicants attaining or exceeding the cut-off GPA will have their auto-biographical sketches evaluated.

Good luck. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Guest PARTY cal

I have completed 4 years of undergrad and currently doing my masters. So I think they would use Year 4, 3, and 2 to calculate my GPA. What weight is given to each year?? I am hoping alot on 4 and 3 since my second year gpa was horrible.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi PARTY cal,

I spoke with an admissions officer at Ottawa a couple of days ago and they assign the weightings for the WGPA as follows: 3x(best year), 2x(second best), 1x(third best). If your WGPA does not meet that of the WGPA cut-off for the region in which your application fits then you are moved to the graduate applicant pool where, as long as your WGPA is greater than 3.3 and your graduate course average is an A, you will move ahead in the admissions process. Further, she divulged a little info as to how graduate applicants are ranked (which I didn't know, previously). Apparently a scoring system is used to evaluate your graduate work/experience where points are given for papers, abstracts, etc. However, to paraphrase her words: if the applicant is in the graduate pool and does not have a published research paper then they won't be able to generate enough points to move forward in the admissions process. She also noted that files are being reviewed now.

(I'd like to add that against this wee backdrop of doom and gloom, she was really pleasant and very helpful. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

Kirsteen,

I believe the formula is 3x third year, 2x second year and 1x first year as opposed to what you wrote in your post:

I spoke with an admissions officer at Ottawa a couple of days ago and they assign the weightings for the WGPA as follows: 3x(best year), 2x(second best), 1x(third best).

...although, it sure would be nice if they multiplied your best year by 3!

Peter

Guest MDbadly

Hi Kirsteen,

Have Ottawa changed their formula to best years X3 etc...

I thought it was last year X3, 2nd X2, 1st X1. Oh great! I would of made the cut-off if this was the case had I applied this year. Are you sure they have changed the formula?

Thanks.

Guest Shahenshah

I think Peter might be right on this one since the only reason one would even use a 'weightage' formula like ottawa's is to possibly show a trend in marks over the years..i.e. more focus to the years closer to med school..I can't see the logic behind the other method although it sure would be awesome to have such a formula

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Sorry if I misled anyone, but I think Peter's correct too. I think the content of my conversation with the admissions officer in conjunction with some other meds weighting formulae which do use best years may have spun me to misstate the UofO approach.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest PARTY cal

Now I am really confused....I have done 4 years of undergrad, so would they still only use years 3, 2, and 1. Why not years 4,3, and 2??

Can someone please clarify this for me

Thank you

Guest UOMeds05

Unless things have unexpectantly changed this year, only your 3 most recent years will be used in the calculation of your WGPA (in the undergraduate application process).

so if you have completed four years (not currently in your 4th year) your 4th year will be multiplied by 3, the second last by 2 etc.

hope this clarifies... if you are really concerned, and it makes a big difference (although letters will be out in a week or so) you are best to email the adcom but i am sure that they are being bombarded with questions right now.

Best of luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I say wait a week and if you have not heard give them a call. Last year I got my later a week after everybody else, and I live in Ottawa! I know is hard but wait a little bit

Archived