Premed 101 Forums

Admission Requirements - Chemistry!

Guest GM Human

Guest GM Human

Hey everyone,

I'm just a first year student (at UofT) but I'm looking ahead at med admissions. I see on the admission requirements (www.medicine.uottawa.ca/p...-2003.pdf) at the top of page 5, that:

Two of the following full-year courses in Chemistry are required:

- General Biochem (without lab)

- General Chem (with lab)

- Organic Chem (with lab)

By the time I apply, I'll have two half-courses in organic chem (both with lab - CHM138H and CHM247H at UofT), so that should be ok. But I'll only have a half-course in general chem with lab (CHM139H) and a half-course in general biochem (BCH210H).

Is this sufficient to apply? Or should I look into getting another half-course in either general chem with lab or general biochem without lab? Which course would you recommend I take at UofT?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I applied to Ottawa this year for 2003 admissions and many people in my year had the same problem. BTW, I am in my 3rd year at U of T.

If you take CHM 220 H, this course along with CHM 139 H will be looked upon as a full year of Physical Chemistry even though it doesn't have a lab component. It is accepted by Ottawa.

No worries!

Take care,

Krish

Guest GM Human

Thanks for the advice; I'll take a look at CHM220. I'll talk to the Ottawa people when they visit UofT for our Med Symposium in February.

Krish, have you spoken with the Ottawa people to confirm that CHM220 is acceptable as a general chemistry half-course even though it doesn't have a lab?

Yup, I have spoken to Ottawa, and CHM 220 H is acceptable even though it does not contain a lab component. You can confirm with them, just for self-assurance though.

Take care,

Krish

Archived