Premed 101 Forums

Unsure

hey everyone i was wondering if you could help me out.

I am currently finishing my fourth year of a B.A. at the Uof A

year 1: 3.08

year 2: 3.14

year 3: 3.4

year 4: after mid-terms i'm at a A- average.

I have no science background and am 21 years old. Alberta resident.

From what I have gathered the best route to go would be to enter a second undergrad to gain the pre-reqs. I wass wondering if my poor record has killed any chance at the Uof A or uofC or any ontario school?

If I still have a chance I'm looking at going back to RDC for two years of university transfer courses in a BSc then finishing at the Uof A. Does it matter if i take the first two years at a college? would it look better for med school if i took my pre-reqs at a university instead of a college?

I realize that their are alot of posts like this, however, i would be very grateful for any advice.

As far as I know, UofA and UofC are fine with college classes, but I think most or at least some of the Ontario schools won't consider them. Check with them to make sure, though, because it's been at least a year since I looked into all of this in detail. But Athabasca is a good option for a second degree. And I don't think you've killed your chances. Some of the Ontario schools use your best however many years or use weighted GPAs, so if you do well in a second degree and do well on the MCAT you could actually end up with a pretty decent chance.

I have no science background and am 21 years old. Alberta resident.

From what I have gathered the best route to go would be to enter a second undergrad to gain the pre-reqs. I wass wondering if my poor record has killed any chance at the Uof A or uofC or any ontario school?

In theory, you haven't killed your chances yet. While your first degree will certainly disqualify you unless you've achieved something spectacular to compensate, doing a second degree would be your best bet. As long as your second degree is superior to your first, it will be the only used to consider your eligibility.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the info ..has anyone been successful in getting into med with a second degree? I would love to hear some success stories.

Lots of us second degree non-trads have successfully gotten into med school. There's a great success story thread further down this forum :)

Archived